Welcome to Wattpad Labs
Wattpad Labs is building the future of entertainment and storytelling. An innovation lab for emerging products, the passionate teams at Wattpad Labs cultivate fresh ideas and develop them into scalable products in collaboration with Wattpad.
Wattpad Labs combines lean processes with a keen interest in emerging platforms to support the development of interactive digital entertainment products that explore new ways for the world to create and enjoy stories.
Our most recent product, Tap by Wattpad, showcases our thinking and process in action. Tap by Wattpad enables story lovers to write, publish, and read addictive chat-based stories from their phones. In a few short months, Tap by Wattpad has already transformed the landscape by introducing a whole new form of storytelling.
And for the first time ever, Wattpad Labs is opening up applications for team residencies. Join us to shape new ways for stories to be told.
Where Storytelling Innovation Lives
At Wattpad, our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. We do this by using the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories into the world.
For over a decade, Wattpad has been at the forefront of social storytelling. Our flagship reading and writing platform is home to a community of 55 million people who spend over 15 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Through it, Wattpad has empowered writers around the world to find their voice, and has enabled millions of readers to discover a universe of diverse stories.
We live in exciting and disruptive times. The nature of entertainment continues to evolve as emerging platforms and technologies hatch new ways for the world to create and enjoy stories. Wattpad Labs is how Wattpad is powering next-generation products that will set even more stories free.
How the Wattpad Labs Residency Program Works
Does your team have a storytelling product or concept that you want to build at Wattpad? Then read on.
Here's how the Wattpad Labs residency program works:
2 WEEKS TO 3-MONTH PROGRAM
Starting with a two week trial period, followed by the three month residency on-site at Wattpad, your team will explore the advantages of building new products at Wattpad. Wattpad Labs supports all products with expertise, access to leadership, and a large network of users and content.
Your team will spend up to three months getting paid to make your ideas a reality. The three month program is a paid residency designed to support teams in taking an idea from concept to product.
APPLY IN TEAMS
Apply in teams of 2-3 individuals of complementary skills with a storytelling product concept.
POTENTIAL FOR FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT
Successful graduates from the program will join Wattpad full time to lead the new product and participate in significant upside opportunities.
Wattpad Labs is a 3-month on-site residency program for teams who are passionate about building the next breakthrough storytelling product. Interested candidates are invited to apply to the program as a team of 2-3 individuals of complementary skills. As part of the application process, teams will be asked to bring forward and pitch a product / concept to be evaluated by the Wattpad Labs selection team.
Selected teams will be invited to participate in a two week trial period where the team can work out of the Wattpad office and gain access and support from the various Wattpad leaders. At the end of this trial period, if both parties agree, the team can begin their 3-month paid residency. The team will then undergo a challenging and rewarding 3-month process of validating and iterating the product under the supervision and mentorship of the Wattpad Labs leadership team. They’ll gain access to an audience of over 55 million monthly users on Wattpad and have the opportunity to utilize the vast expertise and resources that exist within the company, including time with Wattpad's co-founders and serial entrepreneurs, Allen Lau and Ivan Yuen.
Teams that successfully graduate from the Wattpad Labs program will see those products join the growing Wattpad portfolio and will be invited to work at Wattpad to lead this new product, advancing product growth and scaling the business. Teams that achieve a high level of growth and successfully graduate will also be invited to participate in significant bonus and other compensation opportunities.
For more information, visit the FAQ page.
Tap by Wattpad was the first of many new products we’ll launch from Wattpad Labs. We’re looking for teams to join us in building the next big hit in storytelling.
Allen Lau | Co-Founder and ceo, wattpad
Why Apply to Wattpad Labs
- Work with world-class leaders in storytelling tech, who have a deep understanding of the startup industry.
- Build alongside other Wattpad Labs teams who are at various stages of new product development—from our well-established Tap team to those just getting started on a new idea.
Access to Unprecedented Audience and Data.
- Build a product leveraging Wattpad’s global audience of 55M+ users and millions of storytellers—and promote your product to them.
- Take advantage of over 375M+ stories on Wattpad as a starting point for your content
- Dive into our data. Explore existing large data sets and experiment with machine learning capabilities.
Opportunity to lead at Wattpad.
- Upon successful graduation of the residency program, teams will go on to lead a new business unit at Wattpad and participate in significant bonus opportunities.
- Teams will see the products join the growing Wattpad portfolio and have the opportunity to advance product growth and scale the business.
Connections to Expertise and Influence.
- Work onsite in downtown Toronto in the heart of Canada’s startup capital, and take advantage of networking events and peer support
- Access Wattpad’s strong network of venture capital firms, including USV, Khosla, OMERS, August Capital, BDC Ventures, North Leaf Capital, Raine Ventures, Version One Ventures, and Golden Venture Partners.
- Sit next to teams skilled in a variety of areas including content, engineering, data science, product, marketing, audience relations, business development and more.
Meaningful, ongoing Support.
- The Wattpad Labs team, Wattpad employees, and our thousands of fans and followers on social media will cheer you and keep you energized, excited, and engaged.
- Work in Wattpad’s loft-style office space in Toronto’s trendy King East neighborhood, with easy access to Union Station and other transit, St. Lawrence Market, and lots of tasty food options.
- Weekly mentoring with Wattpad’s senior leadership team, including co-founders Allen Lau and Ivan Yuen.
- Built-in IT infrastructure, including hosting, database, and more.