36.

•Chapter Thirty-Six•

•Lane•

After Rafe and I had gotten back, we greeted my parents and he left to return to his own home, claiming that he had a few things to take care of before my birthday that was in a few hours.

I had spent time with my parents as we ate dinner earlier and I was now in my bed, wide awake at 12 in the morning.

It's not that I wasn't tired, because I was, but I just couldn't go to sleep.

I decided to get up and get dressed in a pair of black biker shorts and a matching sports bra. I pulled my hair into a ponytail before grabbing my AirPods and phone and quietly making my way down the stairs.

I shut the door behind me and gazed out at the pitch black sky. The only light available was a light pole on the main road about 100 yards away from my house.

I placed my AirPods in my ears and stretched my arms, then my legs before starting the run I decided would entertain my body while I was awake.

I glanced down at my phone from time to time to check the time, seeing as it was now close to 1:40. I had no idea where I was going, just running until my legs gave out.

As I ran past the beach, I stopped and rolled my neck, feeling it crack like I wanted it to. I glanced around and saw a few cars every now and then.

I huffed and checked the time, seeing as it was now 2:20. I continued my run again, deciding to run until 5.

After about an hour and a few breaks later, I stopped near an abandoned building and sat on a curve, feeling my calves burning excessively.

I checked my phone and typed in my location to see I was and hour and thirty minutes from my house.

I sighed and looked up to the sky, nodding my head lightly to the blaring music in my AirPods I just turned up.

I leaned back on my hands and thought about life recently. Todays my birthday, since it's 3 in the morning already.

I remembered right after we moved, I dreaded turning 19 because I would eventually need to move out and find a job, not that I needed one but I still wanted one. I'd always wanted to own a little surf shop or small restaurant close to the beach, since I loved being around the water.
I could've gone to college, but I never actually thought into the idea.

I felt like I would have no friends, forever be alone with nobody except my parents.

I was grateful for the life I had now, friends, a loving and beautiful soul of a boyfriend, and my parents. It was simple and small, that's the way I liked it.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead as I came back to focus, pushing away the never ending thoughts and standing up from the cool concrete beneath me.

I quickly changed the song and started my run back, deciding to stop at the beach for the morning.

I ran the hour and a half back while in my thoughts again, not noticing I was there until the sunrise caught my eye.

I bent forward and placed my hands on my knees, smiling at the pink and orange sky in front of me. I walked down towards the shoreline, scanning the water for a few shells to make a great start to my birthday.