Chapter 38 | Taking Action

The weasel lept from her cloak

Mid-air, his body shrunk into the size of a ball. It burst into all directions before he landed in the form of a wolverine.

Ullr likely didn't want to be recognizable by any possible passing tribesmen.

The wolverine was the size of a large dog. The hem of his fur was black, but his back was a darker orange mixed with a blonde ombre. His bushy tail lashed behind him.

Selene kept walking, taking large steps in the snow that hadn't been shovelled away yet.

"You are NOT going after that cub," Ullr's voice spoke in her mind. "Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?"

She huffed, taking large gulps of air as she strained herself.

The Wolverine effortlessly followed her through the snow, gliding across the top like a seasoned ice skater.

"Of course-" She panted as she took giant steps, "Of course I do!"

Finally, Selene stumbled out of the tall snow and onto a shovelled pathway. She brushed her warm trousers off and wiggled her feet to remove snow from the nooks and crannies.

Ullr scoffed as he leapt onto the path and shook the snow off his pelt.

"Selene," He roughly rumbled, "Let the search parties find the cub."

She stopped and swiftly turned to stare at the fluffy wolverine, "They can't find the cub!" The platinum-haired woman brushed the cloak from her face, "What if it's been days? That poor thing must be so hungry!"

His ears pinned back as he lashed his tail, slightly ruffling his fur before standing on his two back paws. He towered above her fiercely.

"The cub could be dead," He told her harshly, making her gasp in shock, "The winter landscape is brutal and unforgiving- and how do we not know that man didn't kill the cub?"

She held a hand to her heart, "Don't say that!" She exclaimed.

Ullr shook his head and wrinkled his nose, "You're kind; that's why I love you, but you can't let your emotions get the better of you."

A frown down-turned her lips. Her brows furrowed, gazing up at the wolverine upsettingly. "Ullr..."

He shook his head, "I'm not budging, Selene." He told her before lowering himself to all four legs, "If you keep doing things like this- your kindness will be your downfall..." Ullr shuffled his paws and turned away, "You have to draw the line somewhere."

The wolverine marched down the path, his tail waving behind him.

Selene wrapped her arms around herself, shifting to watch the mustelid pad away. He paused, looking over his shoulder and making eye contact with her. His animal form only made the shapeshifter harder to read.