𝑰.

𝑻𝑹𝑨𝑮𝑬𝑫𝒀
━━━━━━ ୨˚。🦢⋆୧ ━━━━━━
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

september 1959
- vermont -

"𝑰𝑻'𝑺 𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑨 𝑩𝑰𝑻 𝑻𝑹𝑨𝑮𝑰𝑪, 𝑹𝑬𝑨𝑳𝑳𝒀, 𝑰𝑺𝑵'𝑻 𝑰𝑻? how i have to end up in a situation like this." i admitted to Chris.

"i agree, it's absurd. i mean, he really talked to, oh what's his name-" she paused "mr. nolan?" i questioned "yes, how he just talked to mr. nolan over the summer and convinse him to have you attend welton!.. and worse, leave me alone, here, at Ridgeway!"

"Chris, i'm not leaving you, i'm sure i'll be able to call you once in awhile" i managed a small laugh as a quiet sigh was heard on the other end of the phone. glancing to the clock on my wall, i frowned and spoke up again. "i'd better get some sleep, if not then i'll be a bear in the morning. goodnight Chris, i'll call you by the end of the week. Make sure to tell Chet and Ginny i said my hello's and goodbyes" a smile formed on my lips as chris and i made our farewell's over the phone. we hung up.

my brown rotary phone made a 'click' as i set it down on my night stand. laying on my bed, looking to the ceiling i heard a faint knock on my doorframe. "come in." i began as hard footsteps made their way into the room. "have you got everything packed for tomorrow?" my father spoke in a brittle and modulated tone. "yes." i toned flatly to him, he frowned. "i just don't understand why you don't want to attend welton. after all those years of asking me to come since you were a little girl, you decide to make up your mind and not go?"
"it's not that," i paused, "i just don't see why you think i'd be good at a place like this? i'm already good enough at Ridgeway." my statement came out crisp. "yes, i understand that, but i think you'd do better at welton. you know i've taught there for years, i know what it's like; besides, you know mr. nolan and i are colleauges, you have nothing to worry about." he hushed.

i stayed silent for a moment or two before taking a breath. he began to speak again. "i'll wake you early in the morning, so we can talk over breakfast before i drive you there, how's that sound?" looking to him, i only nodded before sitting up. "alright, now, get some sleep, you've got a big day ahead of you tomorrow." a comforting smile appeared to his lips before he got up and left the room, turning off the light, then closing the wooden door. the footsteps grew faint and i lied back down. i wondered about what tomorrow would bring. i didn't want to even think of welton, administration, or the multitude of boys who went there. all i wanted to think about was going to bed and forget that tomorrow even existed.

୨˚。⋆୧

that next morning, i felt the warmth from the sun, beaming on my face as i sat in the backseat of my fathers red chevorlet bel air. we talked earlier over breakfast about the decision that was made over the summer, his daughter being admitted to welton academy. instead of arguing with him over it, i accepted the decision.

I was arriving to welton 2 days later after the ceremony was taken place, that way i 'wouldn't be seen nor caused a distraction' is what mr. nolan said according to my father. i understand it's a boarding school for boys, but really, do you think i'd be a distraction? my hands settled onto my lap as i started to think about how welton's little annual ceremony would go.

- flashback -
( two days prior )

"𝑳𝑨𝑫𝑰𝑬𝑺 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑮𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑳𝑬𝑴𝑬𝑵, 𝑩𝑶𝒀𝑺, 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑳𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻 𝑶𝑭 𝑲𝑵𝑶𝑾𝑳𝑬𝑫𝑮𝑬." a booming voice echoed in the room. " one - hundered years ago, in 1859, fourty one boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that now greets you with the start of each semester." the old man paused, looking to the crowd of parents and their sons, then began to ask the question that has been appealed to these boys every year since then. "gentlemen, what are the four pillars?" at an instant, every student stood, some with a lifeless expression, others with a pleased look. these students echoed the four pillars back to the old man who stood at the podium. "𝑻𝑹𝑨𝑫𝑰𝑻𝑰𝑶𝑵, 𝑯𝑶𝑵𝑶𝑹, 𝑫𝑰𝑺𝑰𝑷𝑳𝑰𝑵𝑬, 𝑬𝑿𝑪𝑬𝑳𝑳𝑬𝑵𝑪𝑬." they sat down.