I screamed until I ran out of air. I screamed with all the frustration pent up inside of me. It was a nice side-effect that the wolf beside me flinched in pain and forgot about his task for a second, but I was aiming for more.

They didn't want a scene, they were trying to be quiet? Then I would make sure that everyone in a ten mile radius would become our audience.

I screamed to wake a single person in the dark apartments surrounding us. A single face behind the glass, a window thrown open in anger. Would the attention of humans push the wolfs back into the shadows?

If I had been thinking rationally, I might've considered that they would pull me into the shadows with them, but my brain wasn't working properly. Both the hit and the shock were still working on it.

It didn't take long for the wolfs to shake off the surprise. The heavy boot came down again, crushing my jaw. The sheer force knocked me down again. But this time, the boot didn't wander down to my sternum; instead, the stranger kept it tightly on my throat, which made it impossible to voice anything more than a whimper.

My eyes wanted to close, but I forced myself to look up at the stranger.

Maybe he considers running right now, I thought wishfully.

But no window opened, and no one threatened to call the police. If anyone had heard my scream, they didn't want to get mixed up in a drunken quarrel.

Heavy steps, even heavier breathing. I didn't have to turn my head to notice the arrival of someone else. But there was a feeling of reassurance or relief, something that hadn't been there before. The pain was fading while I could feel the pull to start the fight anew.

The wolf and his friend were looking in the direction of the steps.

"Ah, shit", said the stranger in a mixture of resignation and annoyance. "You've bested him, huh?"

"He's a fool. You all are", Vine shouted. Not one spot of the warm emerald I liked so much could be seen in his eyes. "If the congregation hears about this – no, if the hunters get to know –"

Before he could finish his sentence, the stranger yelled back: "We're already out. What good is it now to be careful?"

"For one, you would avoid making an enemy of my pack."

"You'll tell them that this isn't their fight, won't you? You know that this is your fault. We warned you, as a curtesy, but you didn't listen." The stranger's look became smug. "And now you reap what you sow."

"I'll give you a chance to fuck off."

"Or what?" His gaze travelled over Vine's body, which had taken a few hits. There were a couple teeth marks on his shoulder which were oozing blood, and he must've fended off claws untransformed. "To be honest ... you don't look very good, Vine."

For a split second, I could see the calm conviction in his eyes waver. There were two wolves, and he was already out of breath and beaten up. Even though the congregation day's wounds had long closed up, new scratches and bruises were blooming on his skin like ink blots.

With a sort of disconnect, I considered our chances and concluded that we were thoroughly fucked. But at least I wouldn't die alone in a dark side alley – that hadn't always been certain in my life.

"I'm good ... good enough to take you two on", growled Vine. His voice had lost some of its humanity as if he were preparing to change.

He'll change, and they'll fight, I foresaw, and then we're both done.

"Big words for someone who couldn't protect his own mate."

There was a jolt which went through Vine, from the top of his head to his soles. His face didn't show any change, but I could feel the cold seeping from him, as if the words had cut into my own conscience.