Chapter One

I laughed as Light chased after me, our parents were close friends growing up so it only made sense that Light and I grew up together. We went to the same middle school, lived on the same street and were always together no matter what. Until the day my mom's stupid boyfriend convinced her to move away from her friends and family.

My heart broke the day I said goodbye to Light, we were both crying messes as we hugged each other one last time. My moms boyfriend was a jackass, he manipulated my mother until she moved away and when she did it only got worse and worse. He began to hit, belittle and humiliate her and once I started growing up he tried to do the same thing to me. Eventually after years of abuse I finally broke my silence by telling my teacher.

Thankfully my teacher believed me and called the police, the son of a bitch was arrested and we both testified in court where he will be living out his days. We moved back to our hometown, a couple of streets away from our old house and I'd be starting my last year of high school in Daikoku Private Academy. I stared at myself in my mirror as I got ready for my first day of the school semester.

I applied the tiniest bit of make up, some mascara and lipgloss before putting on my uniform and tying my long brown hair into a high pony tail. My mom stayed in bed so I grabbed myself a quick bite to eat before leaving for school. I stared up at the big building and sighed, nobody wanted to be the new kid, especially when its your third and final year but if it meant my life could go back to normal then I'd do it.

I made my way to the office to retrieve my timetable and map of the school. " Thank you" I smiled to the receptionist " We have a fellow third year waiting outside to give you a tour of the building before classes start. The tall boy with the brown hair" I thanked her again before heading outside and tapping the boy on the arm.

" Excuse me? Are you the boy who'll be showing me around?" The boy turned around and gave me a friendly smile " Yeah that's me, I volunteered to. I know it cant be easy for you so I thought I could be a warm welcome" " Thank you that means a lot" " Let's go, I have alot to show you". The boy gave me the tour and some helpful advice about some of the students and teachers at the school. When we arrived back at the office I smiled and bowed respectfully to him " Thank you so much, could you help me find my home room before you go?" " Of course, let's see your home room number is year 3 class 2" he smiled down at me " That's my homeroom it's this way".

We made small talk on our way before the teacher stopped us outside the class " Oh Sensei, this is the new student, sorry I never got your name" he smiled at me embarrassed. " That's alright, go inside and take your seat before I start the announcements". The boy went inside as the homeroom teacher smiled at me " Its a pleasure to have you attend our school Ms. Hiroshima and I can assure you nobody knows about your reasoning for joining so late. When we go inside just introduce yourself and you can sit down" I nodded before heading inside with her.

" Okay class, we have a new student joining us today. They transferred here so please make her feel welcome" the teacher turned to me and I smiled nervously as I faced my new classmates " Good morning everyone! My name is Hiroshima Megami and I'm excited to be joining you". The boy from earlier looked at me surprised as the teacher nodded towards the seat behind him. My school day went by quickly, I had already made a few friends in a few of my classes, they were all very welcoming and I appreciated it.

At the end of the day I walked out of the building with a small smile on my face, I noticed the boy from this morning as he made his way out from the shadows. I made my way over to him and smiled " Hi, I just wanted to thank you for showing me around today. You were a big help" he looked at me and gave a small laugh " Do you really not remember me?". I looked at him confused " Huh?" " Megami it's me, Light Yagami" my eyes went wide as the name hit my ears. I threw my arms around his neck as I hugged him tight " Light! My God I hardly recognize you. You don't have your cute little chubby cheeks anymore" I laughed as I squished his cheeks.

Light laughed as he looked down at me " I see your just as goofy as before. I didn't even recognize you this morning, you look so different I mean your not-" " I know I know  I've blossomed" " I mean yeah" Light blushed slightly " I mean, you're very beautiful" " Thanks Light, you grew into a handsome man yourself". " Why dont you come over for dinner? I'm sure my parents would love to see you again" " That would be perfect".