Chapter 14: The Prince

"Your Highness," a sweet but smug voice called up to me.

I blanched. Of all the turns this stupid competition had to take. I did not need this, not after what happened with Ashton. Three days later, I was still reeling. I was short on remorse, short on kindness. Short on time. My time with the few people I cared about was ending far sooner than I was prepared for.

I sat in the Great Hall greeting the noblewomen and the ladies from Vale and Veron, the two cities closest to our castle. My father was nowhere in sight even though I had been relying on him to do most of the talking.

"Lady Lucille," I replied placidly, though I gripped the sides of my throne tightly, "I was not expecting to see you." I was. I had just been hoping she wouldn't turn up. Why couldn't she have consumed some undercooked salmon for once in her life? I wondered, bitterly, a smirk threatening to rise at the selfish and rude thought. I suppressed it.

"Surely you knew better. I would never pass up the chance to see you. Now come down here and give me a proper greeting."

I internally rolled my eyes. Normally, I would have completely lost my head—royals, especially future kings were not ordered about by their subjects—but I did as she said. As I reached the bottom of the steps, she delicately held out her hand. Just as delicately, I took it and pressed my lips to it. I would rather have bitten it as was expected of the Beast, but that would have upset her and in turn upset her father, Lord Jonathan Eidelwalker. We could not lose the support of my father's chief advisor.

"I am glad you came," I told her in a low tone, not at all sincerely.

"I am glad I came as well," she whispered back genuinely. If possible, her voice dropped even softer. "I would like a word with you. Alone. Could you meet me in the gardens?"

She wanted to talk to me? Privately? Nothing good would come out of that, not with Lucille. I stepped back. "Perhaps before the evening meal. But I must meet with the other ladies first."

Please take the hint, I prayed. Please.

"Of course," she smiled sweetly before adding in a darker tone, "though I do not understand why we nobles are grouped in with commoners or why commoners are here at all."

I ignored her and turned to retake my seat on my throne. This time she did leave after curtsying and thanking me for my time.

Just then, my father strolled in. He bowed to the long line of girls before sitting on his throne.

"Was that Lady Lucille I saw exiting the Hall?" He inquired as if he was not an hour late.

"If you mean the vexing girl with a sweet face of falsely pure intent and a heart of evil, yes."

"Luka," he said warningly before he addressed the girl now at the front of the line. "What is your name?"

"Rey Lee of Vale, Your Majesty," She answered as she performed a deep, flawless curtsy. She bobbed one to me. "Your Highness." She looked nervous.

I would have smiled, not because I felt sorry for her but because that was what was expected of a diplomat. The curse, though, would have made it to be an uglier expression. So I sat and waited.

My father shot me a look as he asked Rey why she had entered the competition.

"I was chosen, Your Majesty," came her response, "to represent my city. I remain here to represent my city."

"That is very admirable of you," my father replied. "And what is it you have to gain?"

"I have nothing to gain."