Chapter 20: Lost Lily, Found Fae

Missy flutters around the front yard, her head desperately flicking back and forth in search of something as she chews on her nails.

"What's wrong?" You ask in a breathy tone as you gasp for air, resting your hands on your knees while leaning forward. You never realized just how far Ida's grave is from your home, that is, until you had to run the distance.

The fae turns to you with a worried expression, her lips forming a thin line as she contemplates something in her flustered mind.

"The child!" She exclaims with a squeak, swiftly flying up to you to grab your face with her small hands. "I merely left her presence for no more than a second, and when I returned she had vanished!"

Your face falls from shocked to unfazed as you give her an uncaring shrug.

"Yeah, she does that." You respond, looking past Missy while scanning the front yard. "She disappeared on me too." You comment with a hum, thinking of ways to possibly lure out the tricksy child.

You get an idea, smiling as you gently grab Missy and trot to the middle of the yard. The fae squeaks, freezing in your grasp as she gives you a baffled stare.

You hold Missy out, giving the fae an exasperated gasp as you widen your eyes, looking at the fae with over-exaggerated shock. "Oh, Lily! Look! It's a cute, little fairy!"

You hold your breath, listening for any sign of the child. You stay frozen in place, glancing around, waiting for her to reappear like she did when she disappeared on you.

A giddy, high-pitched laugh rings out around you, causing you and the two creatures to start scanning the area for the little girl.

Lofty slowly makes his way towards you, his ears perking up, flicking around in an attempt to determine the precise location of the laughter.

As if out of thin air, Lily falls from the sky, barely ahead of where Lofty stands, giggling her typical high-pitched giggle while she flails her arms. Your head flicks to the sound, eyes widening as the child plummets from a great height. Lofty's eyes follow your gaze upward. His eye-sockets widen.

He stretches his arms out, catching Lily before she can hit the ground. He stumbles before catching himself, becoming as stiff as a tree while staring down, bewildered at Lily's magic act.

You release a strained sigh, still holding Missy as you run over to the wooden creature. He cradles the little girl in his arms, examining her for any wounds.

"She appears unharmed." He comments with a relieved sigh, lowering himself down to your height so you can better examine Lily.

Missy wiggles out of your grasp, hovering over the giggling, little girl. Her face turns shocked. "Her eyes." She gasps, staring wide-eyed while gawking at the child.

You and Lofty look into Lily's eyes, both gasping in unison. The morning light catches in her blue orbs, revealing a bright green on the bottom half of her left eye, sparkling like an emerald caught in an ocean.

"How...? Where did that green come from?" Your voice comes as a soft whisper as you study the baby's wide, bright eyes, trying to figure out how her eye became such an odd combination of colors.

Lofty gives Missy a knowing glance. Missy gives him the same look, as if knowing what he's thinking but doesn't fully believe him. He takes in a deep breath, tearing his gaze away from the fae to look at you.

You stare up at him, tilting your head at his unreadable expression. His eyes darken, his features turning serious.

"She...appears to possess fae blood."

(621 words)