🌙33| Stakes

With a gloomy look in her eyes, she helped him to sit down. "Any news on him? Has Ian forwarded any threat?" She didn't respond to hid question for quite a while. Looking away with hesitant lips, she sighs.

"He's dead. Ian displayed his body on the streets. It's all over news now." Hearing this, he rolled his tongue in despair looking up into her eyes. As I stood by speechless, I didn't know what to say either, to comfort him. If only I didn't get in the way and stabbed him yesterday. Fixing the lace of his shoes with difficult, my eyes wavered.

Was he planning to go out in this state? Folding his lips, he closed his eyes in silence and retorted,"Where is he?"

Catherine sighed but wasn't willing to tell him where. It was obvious he wanted to get back at Ian and retrieve his body too. There was no way she'd let him leave in this state. "I know how important he is to you. But it's useless to go there now. You're still hurt-"

"Where's he?! Tell me," he yelled. Her eyes started to blink after processing his dark tone. Inhaling a deep breath, she shook her head. "I'm sorry. I can't tell you." Watching all this, I couldn't just stay quiet. I quickly rushed over to him. "We'll go and find out. You should rest first-"

Before I could keep on talking, he got up with struggles and started walking to the main hall. When he picked his phone, we run after him, stopping just a feet from him. "Liverpool Street again," he declared throwing his eyes around.

Catherine pulled his phone away and turned it off before he could read more information on the article. "Listen to me at least. Clara's right. We'll check and update you. You need to rest. Your wound is quite deep. You need at least a month to heal completely."

He bit his tongue and pushed a chair in his way to walk to the door. Astonished by his abrupt action, I swiftly turned to Catherine with a nod before running after him. I blocked the door with my body and turned to him with a serious look. But when he saw who was in his way, his eyes lowered.

"Step back," he said. Catherine shook her head and held his hand but he yanked it off. "I said step back!" Shaking my head, a tear run down my cheeks. Burning up with desperation and anger, he grabbed my hand and tossed me aside, opening the door with full force.

I stumbled back and fell back, but I managed to keep up with Catherine's help. "Max! If you step out, we're done. I won't help you with Ian. You're on your own." Turning around slowly, he lowered his head in agony.

"Max. Please stay back. We still need to nurse your wound-"

"It's all because of you! He would still be alive if only you'd let me explain. He died because I was indecisive. I won't be like that anymore!" Turning to Catherine, he pursed his lips before walking out on us. "Max!" I cried rushing for the door.

He didn't turn around, not even for a second. Catherine sighed watching him run off. It would be dangerous for him to leave alone. "Clara! Wait for me." Running down alley way, he stopped a taxi and drove off with the driver.

As I extended my hand to attract the approaching taxi, it gradually stopped by us, making me sigh. "Take us to Liverpool." The driver nodded and sparked the car after we got in. Following his car from behind, we got to the street only after about fifteen minutes.

As he quickly moved out of the car, I could see a huge crowd gathered around something while police and ambulance patrols slowly gathered around too. "Did he also commit suicide? Poor boy!" Nodding, the people around him stared at the dead body lying in a pool of blood. The police traced his identity and found out he lived on the third floor of the opposite building.

"I heard he jumped down from all the way there to here." Gasping, her companion covered her mouth to prevent shouting. He pushed his way in the crowd and stood at the edge immobile. Glaring at his dead friend in a pool of blood, his eyes teared up. "Dexter!" Rushing to him, everyone's eyes followed him.