sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ ғᴀᴄᴇs

"You hoo."

     "Pst."

     "Rise and shine."    

     Todd awoke with a violent start as he breathed in shards of wet grass. He coughed as he tried to rid the droplets of melted snow from his airway and looked around. The sun was in the middle of the sky and blindingly bright. Perhaps it was past noon.

     "Its about time sleepy head." Todd shot his head over his shoulder.

    "What time is it?" He asked

    Neil shifted his book to peer at the watch on his wrist. "Just passed three." Todd's eyes grew wide as he jumped to his feet.

    "Why didn't you wake me?" He audibly yawned and stretched his arms above his head. Neil watched behind his book as Todd ruffled his brown hair. The brown colors almost looked blonde as they shimmered in the sunlight.

   "I didn't know you had a scar there?" Neil wondered at a thin line of bare skin cut across Todd's hairline. The boy rubbed a finger over the same spot Neil pointed at.

   Todd's eyebrows tensed. "Yeah, had it since I was seven." He stuttered. Neil noticed the boy's shoulders drop a bit before they squared awkwardly. He hesitated.

   "What happened?" Neil's voice was quiet and airy. He didn't want to strike a nerve. It grew quiet.

   "You don't-"

   "My brother." Todd uttered, cheeks going red. "Sorry." He gestured for Neil to speak again.

   "No," Neil breathed, "go ahead." He glued his eyes on Todd. The boy across from him stood incredibly still. The only thing that seemed alive on him was the rise and fall of his chest through his stained white shirt that was worn beneath the black trench coat that hung off his shoulders. He fiddled with the shiny black buttons on the sleeves. His forehead creased, smoothed over. Then, creased again. 

   Neil hoisted himself on his elbows. His book was thrown to the side and its pages getting soggy on the ground.

   "I was seven and playing with my bicycle. In the middle of the road." His voice trailed off. "It was daylight and my parent's were in the house. My brother comes outside." He gave a dry laugh. "As if he owned the place. I was minding my own business until all of a sudden he shoves his foot in front of my tire and makes me fall."

   A wheeze escaped Neil's mouth as he tried to stifle a laugh behind his hand. Todd looked at him.

   "Sorry. The floor is yours." Neil exclaimed.

   "I fell head first to the ground." Neil howled. "What the hell is so funny about me falling?" Todd crossed his arms and scowled at Neil who was rolling through the grass, dying of laughter. "Asshole!" Todd nudged Neil with his shoe. Neil swatted his foot away. "Stop laughing." Todd watched as the boy continued to laugh. His eyes were scrunched shut. His teeth shown beneath his lips.

   Todd bent down and nudged his shoulder. He pulled at the fabric of jacket. A hand grabbed his wrist and his feet leapt through the air. The world spun until it just as quickly stood still. His back slammed into the earth. The end of his spine burned. His heart beat in his ears. That and his breathing. Until he noticed another heart beat and another huffing of breath. The earth was warm beneath his ear and along his cheek. It was soft. The grass was fabric-like and it was comforting like a pillow after a long day.

   A grumble vibrated in his ear. He snapped his head up and found Neil staring back at him. His eyes were kind and twinkled in the sun. Some parts were golden, even. His gazed darted down to his lips that twitched at the corners. They were pale from the cold but they were still blushed. Along with the tip of his nose and the freckled skin of his cheeks. All those scattered freckles were so beautiful. They way they resembled stars in the light.

   "We should go." Neil tapped Todd's shoulder and shot his gaze toward his arm the was draped over his torso. Todd's heart dropped. He retracted his arm mindlessly and his hand smacked against Neil's chin. He winced. Mouth agape, Todd stuttered an apology and quickly brushed off his pants. He offered a hand to Neil who also seemed to be blushing but it was probably from the cold.

   He gave a lopsided smile at Todd who suddenly began to admire the sky. Neil looked around as he adjusted the collar of his coat. He watched as Todd stuffed his hands in the pockets of his own coat. His hair fell back revealing the scar. It looked like a strike of lightning that struck through his hairline. Neil strolled over and brushed his hand over it, startling Todd. He watched as Neil's hand brushed away the hair that fell over it. He tried to read his face.

   One of the many things Todd noticed about Neil was his ability to mask his emotions. Maybe it was all the years of dealing with his father or the need to put on a brave face. Either way, it was a skill he obtained and mastered which made it even harder for Todd to understand his friend.

   The same friend that was now touching his face. So gingerly. His breathing got stuck in his lungs. Todd did not dare to blink as he watched Neil travel his hand through to the ends of his hair. He also noticed Neil's eyes dull. He slowly looked to his gaze then toward his feet. He took two steps back, Todd counted.

   "I'm sorry." Neil stated as he gestured to the scar.

   "It's not your fault." They both busied themselves with staring at the ground. The wind whistled between them. Eventually, Neil began to shuffle through the duffle bag and plucked out a map. He passed it to Todd.

   "Can you look for the nearest bus stop?"

   "Sure." He smoothed out the columns and looked around at the many lines that stretched through the green lands. "Where are we heading?" he asked, eyes still traveling the routes. He heard footsteps crunching on the ground toward him. A slender hand hovered across the map scoping out the bottom right corner until it reached,

   "New York?" Todd looked up, confused. Neil just shrugged and smiled his signature grin. "New York is hours away. How are we going to make it?"

  Neil snorted, amused. "I have walked hours to Hellton after running away from my abusive father and performing an oscar worthy 'Puck.' Driving a few hours to New York will be wonderful. Especially when I have you to accompany me. That is if you want to come."

  "Of course I do."

  Neil smiled and chuckled. "New York it is."

                                                                                     _______________

   The duo located a bus stop thirty minutes away from Welton. They retraced their steps, cautious of attention they may attract, and padded down the road to the stop. They anxiously sat for two hours awaiting the bus. By the time it arrived, the sun had set into the now purple and pink skies.

   Neil rested his head on the window. He stared aimlessly at the passing trees and occasional cars. A heavy weight plopped on his shoulder. Todd poked his head up heavily. He turned shyly to Neil.

  "Its okay." He laughed. "I know I make a good pillow." The sleepy boy laughed too. Neil's body swelled with warmth. He sighed. He looked out the window for a few minutes until he began to hear Todd snore on his shoulder.

   He watched as his arm fall between their knees. His hair fell over his eyes. Neil brushed the hair to the side and watched as his face relaxed. In that moment, Todd looked the most peaceful that Neil had ever seen him in the year he had known him. It was nice to know he was apart of that.

   But a part of him knew that he could easily ruin that. He sees the way Todd stares at him. How Todd always stuck by his side. Neil could easily hurt Todd as he had been hurt so many times before by his father, mother and the world. He did not want Todd to feel his pain.

  His eyes landed on the scar above his forehead. He was already hurt. They both were. They just needed to be careful now.

  Because they were all they had. They only had each other.