Chapter 36 - The aftermath

Seven couldn't breathe, it was as if all the air in the room had been sucked out and she was hopelessly inhaling but nothing was happening. 

She grasped her mask and shakily pulled it off, the sight of her vitals changing drastically was freaking her out. Seven backed away from the glass but her eyes wouldn't leave the man sitting directly in front of her, Seven knew exactly how to analyse and read someone and she wasn't liking what she was seeing.

The guard was speaking, the bitter expression on his face still remained and Wanda seemed to be growing warier each second. 

Seven found the wall behind her and used the cold bricks to ground herself, bringing herself back from the flashbacks playing in her mind. She focused on breathing, in for six seconds and then out for six seconds until her breaths were no longer staggered and frantic. 

Suddenly the man yelled something and slammed his hands down onto the metal table in front of him, Seven couldn't hear the noise but she guessed it was loud. What bothered her most was that Wanda had flinched, she had flinched at the yelling and was backing away, soon there would be nowhere else for her to go.

Seven felt a new feeling inside of her, she felt angry at the guard for yelling at someone she was beginning to care for and sympathetic for poor Wanda who was still in there. Was this protectiveness? She'd never felt that for anyone before.

Deciding that she had had enough, Seven stormed into the room and stood defensively between Wanda and the man. 

Wanda spun around when the door opened, her face morphing into shock when Seven stormed in and stood between herself and the HYDRA agent who had just been yelling at her. Wanda reached out to pull her back but Seven shrugged her arm off and carried on glaring at the person in front of her, Wanda could sense the resentment radiating off the teenager.

Seven stood unmoving as the guard began to laugh maniacally, she didn't move at all or even say a word until he was finished and Wanda was unsure what she was doing. Wanda tried to reach out and communicate with Seven by entering her mind but Seven refused to let her in just as she had the moment they met, Wanda was still confused as to how she was able to do that.

"Маленький негодяй, вот ты где" (Little wretch, here you are) Seven wavered for a second but her face never changed from analysing him, how did he know who she was?

The glint in his eye was enough to enrage her but she remained unnervingly calm, crossing her arms across her chest. "Откуда ты знаешь, кто я?" (How do you know who I am?) She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"I would recognise that face anywhere" He replied, suddenly switching to English but his accent was still incredibly strong.

Seven only then realised the air on her face and the fabric between her hand, how could she be so careless to forget her mask? 

"Glad to see you've still got the scar" Seven taunted and he scowled.

"Shut up wretch, you've betrayed the Red Room and HYDRA and you shall die" 

Seven raised an eyebrow, urging him to continue which he did gladly. "You work with the enemy, you are weak, you were trained to be more than this"

Seven watched him tug at his handcuffs as he spoke, clearly irritated when they didn't break. "Who, the avengers?" She almost laughed at his pathetic claim.

Seven turned away as if to leave and motioned for Wanda to swipe her badge. Wanda pushed open the door but before Seven could leave she heard him whisper something that made her swivel back around.