Chapter 6

Hamish drove into his apartment's parking lot and parked his black sedan in his slot, turning down the chatter of the radio to apparently 'see' better. He looked at the passenger seat at smiled at the brown stuffed bear he bought Layla. He even bought ribbons of different colours to tie around its neck. He noticed how Layla didn't even have a single toy before she was under his care and always thought it was a little sad.

He walked into his apartment, Layla's gift in hand to see Nicholas and Jace playing a video game on their shared tv.

"Oh good, you're here. We can go to the hardware store now." Nik said putting his console down, "come on man, let's go. I need to finish up Layla's room by tomorrow." He said, pulling Jace up by his arm.

"Where's Layla? Hamish asked, placing his workbag on the kitchen counter.

"My room. I don't think she likes Jace very much."

"Shut up. She likes me. She's probably just shy." Jace said, rolling his eyes

"I don't know man she liked Sam and Dee as soon as she met them"

Hamish was too uninterested to listen to this pointless conversation so he made his way to Nik's bedroom to see layla sitting at Nik's study table, swinging her legs happily as she drew squiggly lines on a piece of paper.

"Hi," he said, not knowing how else to make his presence known.

Layla turned around and smiled when she saw him. She always liked when Hamish would come home.

Hamish sat at the foot of the bed and motioned for Layla to sit next to him.

"I bought you something," he said, bringing out a teddy bear that he previously hid behind his back.

Layla looked at the bear, puzzled.

"Why? It's not my birthday."

"I know. But I thought you would like it since you don't have any toys. Do you like it?"

Layla took the bear in her hand and looked at it with an intense stare. She looked up at he brother and smiled. Hamish was caught off guard when Layla threw herself at him, wrapping her tiny arms around his neck. No one ever did things like this for her before. The most she had gotten before from her mother were maybe a pair of shoes or a shirt that she would wear for a whole year.

'So she likes it" Hamish sighed in relief and pulled Layla closer. They both hugged in silence, enjoying each other's warmth until Hamish's eyes shot wide open in realisation.

"Wait there's more," he said pulling away. He brought out the tiny bag filled with ribbons. "You can tie this around its neck. I didn't know which colour you would like so I bought all of them."

"This one," she said, pulling out a purple ribbon and tying it around her new toy. Layla took out another red ribbon but this wasn't for the bear. She stood on top of the bed to reach Hamish's height and tied the ribbon around a lock of his dark hair.

"This would look good on you," she said tightening the knot so his pretty bow wouldn't fall off.

Hamish chuckled softly "It does look good on me" he agreed, admiring his bow in the mirror in front of him.

"So what are you going to name it?" he asked, facing Layla again.

"I'm supposed to name it?"

"Yeah, if you want to"

"Tomothy"

"Tomothy?"

"Yes, his name is Tomothy"

"Great name"

Sorry for the short chapter. Let me know what you thought of it and please vote if you liked it <3

-M