chapter 41.

nostalgia, forty-one

breaking news

It'd been a week since they'd returned from Seoul, but what a week it had been

     They'd heard there would be a certain awkwardness during the first few strings of a relationship, but in their case they didn't mind.

     The only problem was that Yebin wasn't exactly allowed to date. then again she'd been doing a lot of things she wasn't allowed to. She tried to assure Jungwon it was okay, saying she could sneak out like she did before, but he didn't let her. Said he didn't want her putting herself at risk, or whatever that even meant.

     Somehow, they made it work. All the late night phone calls and short meetups at the convenience store seemed to be worth the world. Yebin had to purse her lips every time she'd get a text from him while people were around, much like now, for example.

     "Yebin? Yebin!"

     "Huh?" The girl looked up at Taeri and Micha, who were staring at her expectantly.

     "I was just saying it's been so long since we've had a sleepover," Micha repeated. "We should have one tonight! My driver could pick us up now and we can drop by the mall-"

     "I'm really sorry," Yebin cut her off, adjusting her backpack on her shoulder. "I kind of have somewhere to be today, so I don't think I can make it."

     Her friends didn't miss the smile she tried to stop as the dismissal bell rang, and Yebin left them with one last wave. Taeri and Micha exchanged confused glances, but shrugged before going back to their conversation.

     Yebin practically ran through the crowd of students pouring out of the school. Accidentally bumping into someone, she quickly excused herself before heading towards the parking lot. From a distance, Lee Kiyoung squinted his eyes as he spotted the familiar girl, following her with his stare as she checked for anyone behind her before boarding her bike. Where she was going, he didn't know.

     The streets of Jeju were cool and empty, but Yebin felt the warm feeling of butterflies in her stomach as she pulled out her phone, keeping one hand on the handle of her bike. Clicking on the 'recents' tab of her contacts, she clicked on his number. It was answered after a few rings, and Jungwon's face popped up on the screen.