Part 19

"Shhh, quiet" I whisper to everyone.

I can hear them slamming open the doors on the first floor.

"What do we do?" The boy next to me asks worriedly.

"You guys hide, for now, I'll think of something," I answer him.

If we stay here, barricaded, they'll find out since they're checking all the rooms. Maybe I should go out and try to stop them.

But how!?!?! Ugh, if only Alex was here.

"Ok, listen. I'm gonna go out now. Don't open the door. Stay hidden and grab any sharp object you can find. And shut the door behind me. When I want to come in, I'll knock 3 times. Got it?" I tell them. They all look at me and nod.

"But...they'll kill you," the boy with the buzzcut says anxiously.

All of a sudden, the sound of a gunshot is heard from the other building. It pierces the silence like a knife.

Oh no...I walk up to the window and look over at the building. Did someone get shot? I really hope they're all ok. I'm starting to get worried.

"Don't worry. I'm gonna be fine." I smile at them cheerfully as calm my nerves.

I go over to a broken wooden chair in the corner of the room and break off a leg from it. This may be the only thing I can use as a weapon.

Pushing aside the shelf, I open the door and walk out.

The hallway is dark with the faint moonlight shining from the window at the end of the hallway. I can still hear them searching down there. Gotta hurry before they come here.

The door is closed behind me and I turn towards where the staircase is. I have to try and ambush them. They have guns. No way I can fight them. The only thing I have is the element of surprise.

As I walk towards the emergency stairs, flashlight off for safety, I begin to feel like...I'm being watched.

"Alex...?" I lightly whisper. But no answer.

The floor beneath my feet creaks with every step. As I walk further looking ahead, I get this feeling that someone is standing there. Looking at me silently. Gulping hard, I turn on the flashlight and face it ahead.

My heart almost skipped a beat! I was right. There really WAS someone. Standing right next to the emergency exit.

It's a little girl, with long hair and pitch-black eyes. She's wearing a white dress with bloodstains on it. Clearly a ghost.

She just stands there staring at me. I've seen many ghosts like her. It's not out of the ordinary for me. But the problem is the TYPE of ghost she is.

There's a dark and ominous presence surrounding her that makes me hesitant to get near her. Even from this distance, I'm getting chills. I can feel my legs wanting to run away immediately.

She's a vengeful spirit. Stuck in this world due to her intense hatred and thirst for revenge. But it's surprising how young she is. Usually, kids don't experience that extreme level of negative emotions. She looks at me blankly. Not flinching or giving any kind of reaction even after I flashed a light at her.

She then moves her head towards the door.

"One of them is coming up here," she says in a soft voice.

Hold on...does she know I can see her? Well, I did flash my light at her. But more importantly, one of the men is coming now. I have to ambush him.