Chapter 7

Days turned into weeks and more pigs were stolen from the pen than Bree could count. Somehow, Bruno believed she was responsible for the missing swine.

"What would i do with a bunch of pigs?" She asked in disbelief.

"I don't know, sell em to make more money?" He said.

"But that's what you do." She countered.

She had somehow gotten closer to jerk-horse because of the pig stealing shenanigan and the two would often team up to find the missing pigs. They got stolen in twos and threes and the pig snatcher never left any evidence behind - no footprints, tyre tracks or fingerprints.

Nothing.

Bree was beginning to get agitated as well as frustrated with the constant accusations and the fruitless search. Herb threatened that she either brought the pigs back or lose her job for good. She could not afford losing $150 dollars because of little piggies that could not stay put. She followed Lizzy's suggestions and set booby traps all over the pen but would come back to find that the thief had somehow slipped past all of them.

"Come on, Jonas. One more search. We won't go far this time, i promise." She encouraged whilst patting the horse on its back.

Technically, jerk-horse had his own name and it was Jonas. For the past few days, they had put aside their petty tiffs and searched for the pigs all way to mouth of the forest but the search usually ended there. Further into the wild meant asking for trouble and the animals there would not hesistate to give it.

"We just have to find one, Jonas. One pig and i get to prove that I am not the pig snatcher." Bree said and mounted the horse.

You are probably wondering how Bree knew how to ride horses. Sadly, i do not know either. Quick input; she also knows how to use a bow.

The pair soon started off.

Jonas trotted slowly past the circus structure and into the long road. There were huge trees and bushes on either sides of the road while the rest of the area behind was one huge clearing. Bree put on her flashlight and pointed in all directions.

"We should go this way." She suggested pointing at a path in between the trees.

Jonas showed a bit of reluctance but eventually agreed with a nervous whinny.

"We will be fine." Bree assured, patting the horse's neck. They ventured farther while she pointed in all directions.

How does one call on a pig? She thought.

If it were to be a missing dog, you could yell out something like "here boy" or make use of a very recognizable whistle but calling out to pigs was impossible.

Maybe make grunting sounds? Don't think so.

It was past ten and Bree had to get back to the other pigs before the mysterious Mr Glue Hands snatched two more. She wondered how the thief managed to catch just one pig. Trying to grab hold of just one of those animals was undoubtedly the same as trying to stand up straight on a slippery bathroom floor with bare soapy feet.

"Alright, Jonas. Let's go back now."

It seemed like the horse was waiting for that suggestion because he suddenly turned and headed back to the main path. During the last few weeks, Herb had managed to replace every missing pig but the entire thieving cycle just repeated itself.

Bree made it back to the farmhouse and fed the other pigs then set another trap by the pen before heading home at the stroke of eleven.

On her way back, she ran into Will. Weeks had gone by since she last saw anyone who worked at library but even though she did want to see anyone, it would definitely not be William. She rolled her eyes at him as he approached.