10: The Launch Party Pt.1

you may be like woah this chapter sounds so familiar where have I heard this before

it's the last POV I wrote from Mel's pov in "loving..." so you may be like this is so familiar.

except I rewrote it and the whole day is in her pov

The day he left was on repeat in my mind, it had only been a week ago but his words, his smile. Something was different about him that morning we had woken up, and to my surprise other people were worried about this too.

One in particular, as he spoke clearly and concisely on the phone.

"I'm just saying don't let him turn you rotten inside", Zeke warned, and at this point I was tuning him out, I wanted answers as to why they hated each other.

Was he really allowed to boss me around like this? I knew it was wrong to agree to his words, even though I knew they weren't true but I just wanted him to stop yelling in my ear.

"Okay", I said, toying with the blanket we had wrapped ourselves in that cold night with hail and rain. Zeke didn't know about that night, nobody did.

I knew Lola had told Zeke her point of view into this situation and just like Lola did, Zeke lectured me about sleeping with the devil. He wasn't the devil, he was far from it, he was a person with his own struggles.

"Listen, stay away from him, he is a bastard", he spoke not with anger but with substance. And not like he knew anything but his words were slurred and he was gulping down liquid as he spoke.

"Are you drunk?", I asked him, wanting to know where this bout of confidence had come from.

"Yeah, Maya my girlfriend is here too", he said, rubbing it in deeper. I never understood how he could lecture me about this when he was clearly out of my life. Why did he care what I did?

"I have to go, I'll call soon", I said, hanging up the phone not waiting for a goodbye back. I wouldn't call him ever, no matter what I said, but when he would call I would always pick up. I had never known how to deal with exes, it was a weird territory for me.

I remember my first boyfriend, I wouldn't even call him my first boyfriend. We were at some carnival, I had sneaked out of my foster home to go and he took me on the Ferris wheel, then he tried to kiss me in the alleyway. I remember the force he used to push me up against the wall. I made it out with him yelling at me as he held his crotch and that night I got to the house and acted up majorly. So much that those shitty foster parents called my social worker and had me taken to a group home for the night and then I was placed with a new family.

I had never dealt with exes, I had never seen any of those boys ever again in my life and I had left before they could ever find me.

I set my phone down and focused on helping Natalie, she had been running around preparing for the launch party since last night and it was my job to keep an eye on her.

And at this point I had been slacking at my job, she was running around at this moment right now, she looked exhausted.

"Why don't you sit down?", I asked, as she signed something leaning the paper up against a wall, she looked at me confused.

"There isn't any time to sit, nothing is here, I'm just- stressed", she said, letting her words out every so often, looking up at me and off the paper.