Chapter fourteen//A cup of coffee

WHILST HOTCH AND THE TEAM TOOK MR COLSON BACK TO THE STATION FOR QUESTIONING, I opted out and decided I had things to do back at the Institution

WHILST HOTCH AND THE TEAM TOOK MR COLSON BACK TO THE STATION FOR QUESTIONING, I opted out and decided I had things to do back at the Institution. Two police officers drove me there and waited outside my office for me whilst I searched through paper files on Daniel Butcher.

I went all the way back to the files we'd been given from Daniel's old hospital records from when he was young. They were mainly about his mother passing and how he dealt with it- which wasn't positive. They also stated he would show up often covered in bruises and small cuts that looked almost like paper cuts.

My brows furrowed deeper as I read on, making my head pound but I simply ignored it, pushing forward with a quick swig of the bottle of water that sat on the desk beside me.

I could hear the sound of the officers outside tapping their feet on the floor and quietly chatting to each other. Other people were still working here as well so doors were being closed and opened and shoes squeaked on the polished floors.

-Daniel has been showing signs of stress that have slowly been progressing to anger. We believe he may begin lashing out if he continues to refuse his medication.-

I read another page from a later date that was logged about a week after the first.

-Daniel has been hiding his medication after pretending to swallow it. We've attempted to contact his father but that proved to be difficult. Our closest contact to Daniel is a family friend- Mr Mark Colson.-

The sound of feet tapping suddenly stopped and the officers chatting had gone silent. My head popped up, turning to look at the slightly open door to see the two officers talking to a third person.

When the third person finally came into view and lightly tapped their knuckles on the door in a knock with their head poking through into the room, I saw it was Spencer.

"Hi." He gave a tight smile which I returned with a huffed "hello."

Spencer walked over to stand by my chair, leaning down and looking over the files that spread far and wide across my desk.

As he picked up one file, I briefly studied the veins that showed on his hands and the way his finger tips held the paper. His other hand was laying on the back of my chair with his arm, making it so his body was close to my face and I could smell the cologne he'd put on this morning. It smelt nice, clean.

Spencer had walked in with a tray of two coffee cups that he held in the hand that was above my head and he made no comment about them. He didn't drink either one or even remove them from said tray, simply held them above me.

I turned my head and looked up at the hot drinks that were just teasing me and making me desperate. "Is there a reason you have two coffees?" I then asked and Spencer practically flinched.

He looked from me to the drinks, standing up straight and removing his arm from the chair. "Right. Sorry. I got one for you." He took the drinks out, handing one to me and then moving to put the cardboard tray in the bin whilst he sipped the other one. I thanked him.

I rubbed my forehead and shut my eyes for a moment before opening them and drinking some coffee.

"You should go home." Spencer said, making my head turn to look up at him. He stood looking down at me with his lips folded inwards and standing somewhat awkwardly. His one arm lay flat at his side whilst the other held his drink in front of his body. His legs were straight with very little space between them but he suited the stance.

"I'm fine." I slightly grumbled, knowing I was lying to myself.

"You've been here for five hours, 37...oh, 38 minutes." He looked at his watch. "You need to go home."

"I can't. I have to be here, I have to help." I looked tiredly up at him, "my job is to help people, and if I'm not here, I'm not helping anyone."

Spencer closed the file that was in front of me and stacked them all in a pile to one side and then he picked up the coffee cup from beside it. He nodded to the door and slowly began walking out of the office, enticing me to follow him.

"I'll take her home." He told the two officers to dismiss them and I grudgingly followed him out to the SUV he had brought here.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

The two of us arrived back at mine and Spencer walked me to the apartment and then also inside the apartment.

"What about siblings?" Spencer asked, continuing the conversation we had been having in the car.

"An older brother." I said, dishing up some left over takeaway from the night before onto some dishes for the two of us. "He's a janitor at a high-school."

Spencer raised his eyebrows. "Wow."

I laughed slightly to myself, shaking my head. "You don't have to act like that's impressive. My brother's a dick."

He shrugged. "There's definitely better jobs out there."

The two of us moved over to the sofa, plates of re-heated food in one hand and drinks in the other. We sat down but didn't turn on the tv, rather we continued to talk for a while, maybe an hour or so non-stop.

With Spencer, I felt safe although I'd only met him a few weeks ago. I knew it wasn't very professional for us to have a relationship like this (whatever that may be) but I couldn't help but go back to him. He was different and intriguing.

As we talked, Spencer surprisingly rarely broke eye contact. Usually, his eyes were scattering all over the place but ,tonight, he was focused solely on me and what was being said between the two of us.

The conversation felt more intimate than others and, for a moment, it felt like there was no case and that Spencer was just someone I had met in a bar and gotten along with. It felt like a regular relationship between two people, one that wouldn't have to be cut off abruptly when it was time for one to fly back to Quantico.

________________________________

A/N: I'm really not great at writing love stories like this so I apologise if it moves to quickly or to slowly idk.

Also, it's a lot more difficult to write a story that's almost completely made up by myself rather than have a tv show plot to follow so just bare with me :)

Thanks !!