(xiii)

Who the fuck kidnaps a villain in this day and age?

Saturday started normally enough.

Nat kicked Bucky's ass in training, evening the score to 120 and 120. He blames it on the lack of sleep. She tells him that it's his fault he stayed up late to binge watch 911 Lone Star.

He still thinks it was worth it.

The team's sunshine and rainbows that morning. Someone had cooked up a batch of pancakes and fresh orange juice. Someone else burnt the bacon but left to feed his dog before anyone could complain.

Nat opened up the newspaper. Different sections went to different people until Bucky got stuck with the entertainment section. Fun, considering that he doesn't even recognise half the names. He'd have to pretend to be interested until the next rotation.

He watches the orange juice levitate in front of him from the corner of his eye and just assumes that Wanda's getting a refill even though she could have just asked him to pass it. He smells the next batch of bacon burning and figures that Clint is back.

Sam's beside him, annoying him about how long it takes for him to read about which new celebrity relationship just ended and Bucky retaliates by reading even slower. Fuck you.

He's on his second stack of pancakes absolutely drenched in maple syrup when the doors to the elevator open and Marie steps out, laptop in her hand.

An instant chorus of hello's and invitations to have some charred bacon resound through the table. She politely declines them with a small smile, instead, opening her laptop and placing it in front of Bucky without further ado.

He looks at her questioningly, slowly swallowing whatever was in his mouth.

"An email for you." She tuts her head towards it. "It has a video attachment of your friend."

Bucky has plans to not watch the video in front of everyone, given that the content could range anywhere from you reading out fanfiction about him to a deep fake of him singing a Whitney Houston song.

Both of which you have done before and would do again, without any hesitation.

"Aren't you gonna watch it?" Wanda asks from across the table.

He slowly shakes his head no, cutting his stack into smaller pieces.

"If what's in it is real, it's important," Marie stresses.

"What's in it?" he inquires instead, hoping that the team would stop staring at him. If Marie was implying strongly that he needed to watch then something was wrong.

"Just watch it, man." Sam's statement has everyone agreeing with him. Bucky can't refuse now, and if the team makes fun of him for the next month about how he looks good belting Greatest Love of All, he's going to personally assassinate you.

He clicks on the email, noticing it came from a throwaway address. Probably untraceable, if the cards are played right.

The video opens to grainy footage, which is stupid considering modern technological advancements. If this is one more of your stupid LARPing sessions, it could definitely wait till after lunch.

But, he instantly recognises your silhouette strapped to a chair and suddenly the room feels very cold around him. His hand automatically clutches onto a bead from the bracelet you gave him that still remained tied to his left arm more often than not.

"Speak," someone commands off camera.

"About what?" You sound annoyed, exasperated even.