Chapter 1 - Second Thoughts

Ava

Today was the big day—the day I would become Mrs. Rainstorm. Like most others, I had the option to choose my groom. This marriage wasn't forced on me, despite the proposal being beneficial for my family's business.

Perks of being a billionaire—my dad had a lot of power in the business world, just like my best friend, Ace Valentino. However, it wasn't Ace who I was marrying; it was Simon Rainstorm, the son of my father's friend. When Dad first told me to consider this wedding proposal, I gave it a serious thought at once since there was no point in putting it off.

After dating Simon for two months, I concluded that he was okay, and we decided to get married once he officially proposed to me.

I glanced at the mirror, fully dolled up like a bride. I was wearing a long white wedding gown with a cascading cape and sweetheart neckline, the gown itself embedded with crystals. My gray eyes complemented the slightly undone bun with some wispy, face—framing pieces.

Despite being satisfied with the way I looked, I sucked in a deep breath. I had a bad feeling about all this, which I knew I wasn't supposed to feel. Shrugging off the negative thoughts and overcoming my nervousness, I texted Ace.

Ava: Where are you? I'm nervous 😶

Ace replied at that instant.

Ace: I'm on my way. The meeting took much more time than expected. But don't worry. I'll reach on time.

I rolled my eyes. He had a meeting which he didn't reschedule despite my wedding. He was a workaholic, just like Dad, so I had gotten used to his antics.

Ava: Don't forget to meet me in my room for the last time before the ceremony.

Ace just replied with a small 'Ok' and I kept the phone back on the table, checking my makeup.

I heard a faint knock on my door. After I said to come in, the door opened and I found my dad looking at me with a bright smile.

"There is my princess," said Dad and approached me. When I smiled at him, he breathed out, "Your smile is as beautiful as your mother's—those same dimples. You know, I always wanted you to get Eleanor's smile. She would be proud of you if she was here." He placed his hand over my head, his eyes getting a little cloudy.

"Dad, she is proud, and I know it. I just need you to be happy. Don't forget what you promised to me," I reminded him, which made him chuckle.

I insisted Dad find a life partner for himself since, after Mom's death, all he did was dedicate his entire life to raising me properly and in his business. I told him a lot to find a new partner, but he promised me he would, only after my wedding.

"Yes, Ma'am," he said obediently, making me burst into laughter. "You look stunning, dear. I am so happy for you."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Is Ace attending the wedding, or he got stuck in a meeting?" he inquired, to avoid getting emotional in front of me. He loved Ace a lot, of course.

"He is on his way," I informed Dad.

"Good to know." Dad said after a while when I was scrolling through my phone, "That guy should think of his love life too. I had a daughter when I was fully into business, but he's only twenty-seven and still, no sign of a woman, let alone getting married."

I sighed. "You know him, Dad. He is arrogant and rude to almost everyone. Just not to his close ones. But women run away right after seeing his ruthless nature. They don't stick around to see his soft side, and I don't blame them. That guy takes way too much time opening up. Seriously, I'm worried about him. Is there any woman on earth who can tolerate Ace Valentino?"