18

Rid of the sweat and her dirty clothes, y/n got dressed, slinging the leather satchel that held her books over her shoulder and setting off towards the Student Room. 

It was one of her favorite places in the school to be. A record player in the corner was spinning with some Classical piano music. A few boys milled around, sitting and reading on the couch, or playing darts in the corner. 

Neil was at the table against the wall, the massive US History textbook open in front of him, and a frown etched into his face. He looked up and smiled the same charming smile as ever when she sat across from him though. "We ought to do a group study session on this stuff before the test on Wednesday. There's only so much we'll be able to get through now," He remarked as pulled out her own text and notes. 

"Yeah, that's not a bad idea," y/n agrees, yawning as she flipped to the right page. "God, why on earth is everyone in History named Thomas, John, or George?" She complained, rolling her eyes at the text. 

"I'm not," Neil said, and they both chuckled. 

The study session was productive, and as the light began to dim outside, y/n felt quite accomplished with herself. She admitted to herself that she had been very out of focus as of late and that a good solid study session was about as much as she could hope for. 

"Well," Neil said, slamming the book shut and glancing up at the clock. "Good timing to end I think. Ten minutes left until dinner," 

Y/n nodded in agreeance, moving to put her stuff into her bag and stand up. "Actually, do you mind if I ask you something?" Neil said, putting a hand on her things to prevent her from shoving them into the depths of her satchel.

"Sure," She shrugged, sitting back down and looking curiously over at him. She and Neil had many conversations about Philosophy, and the purpose of living, so she assumed this was the start of another one of those things. 

"Well," He cleared his throat and gathered his thoughts for a moment before venturing forward. "I've noticed... you've been acting a little different lately," His tone was a little awkward, as though he didn't want to seem accusing or judgmental.

Her brow furrowed, and she tilted her head, trying to figure out what prompted such a question. "I mean, it's taken a bit of effort to adjust to the workload... and I've been really stressed -"

"That's not what I mean." He interrupted quickly, giving a little shake of his head. "I just mean... well... I guess there's no simple way to put it." The corner of his mouth twitched a little, and his eyes were shining brightly now. "Sometimes... when we are with the group, I glance at you, and I see this look in your eyes. Only recently, like the last week or so. Your face lights up when he talks to you, and I catch you staring, and smiling -"

"I don't know what on Earth you're talking about, Neil Perry." Y/n say stoutly. Her face had turned such a shade of scarlet though, and she could feel the warmth in her cheeks, knowing the game was up. She was stubborn though and wasn't going to make it easy for him. "I mean, Meeks is a very good friend, but -"

"I never said it was Meeks." A grin was plastered on Neil's face now, stretching from ear to ear. 

Y/n opened her mouth in a flustered outrage, ready to retaliate once again, but was interrupted by the dinner bell. 

"Love, it's okay," Neil said reassuringly as they entered the halls on their way to dinner. "I think it's cute. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he reciprocated."

"Thanks, Neil" y/n said, her heart slowing a bit now. "I guess... I hadn't really admitted it to myself, either. So, weird to hear it coming from you. But I will say, it does feel nice to... I don't know, acknowledge those feelings," She smiled appreciatively at him now. "You won't say anything, will you?" She added quickly, suddenly looking panicked. 

"No, I'm not going to say anything" He reassured gently. "And I totally understand. My mouth is sealed." He mimed zipping closed his mouth and throwing away the key. "Come on, let's go enjoy dinner."