Chapter 46

Mel

I'm still reeling from Chase and Lindsey's news as I lay in bed with Liam. I can't believe they're going to be parents in the next seven months. It's so exciting!

My face must be giving me away because Liam nuzzles my neck, asking, "What's on your mind, Mel?"

The smile I'm wearing grows. "I'm just thinking about how happy I am for Lindsey and Chase. They're having a baby! I still can't believe it."

I turn, settling down in bed, so my face is level with Liam's. "And you're going to be an uncle!"

He gives me a priceless smile full of utter joy as he replies, "I'm going to be an uncle." A comfortable silence falls between us as we let the events from earlier sink in.

We held each other quietly for a while, letting a blanket of contentment wrap around us. Thoughts of the future swirl in my head as I listen to Liam's heartbeat.

Liam and I have talked about the future so many times. He asked me once what my biggest dream was. I told him I wanted to own a rink someday and be my own boss.

I'd offer paid lessons to those who could afford them and give free lessons to those who couldn't. I'd rent out the rink to sports teams for practice and let people come skate recreationally to help offset the cost of the free lessons. It was a dream, but I could see it happening somewhere down the road.

I thought of how supportive and encouraging Liam had been when I told him about it. Then I realized I'd never actually asked about his biggest dream. I'd just always assumed it was making it into the pros for hockey, but I never asked the question.

He pulls me closer, and I place my lips against his chest, kissing the spot right over his heart before asking, "What's your biggest dream?"

I feel Liam tilt his head toward me. A flash of confusion crosses his face before a thoughtful look appears in its place. He gives me a soft smile as his eyes focus on the sliver of mattress between us.

"I used to think my biggest dream was going pro and joining a national hockey team. I wanted it for so long, and it finally happened, but even then, I felt incomplete somehow," he says, not looking away from the sheets between us.

My brows furrow as Liam continues, "I don't think I understood why until you came back. The day you moved in, I was more than excited. I thought it was just me feeding off everyone else's energy and stacking it on my own. But it never went away. I started realizing that I had feelings for you- feelings that have been there for a long time."

I feel my eyes widen at his words as he sets his gaze on me. "I think I finally realize, after all this time, that my biggest dream has always been you, Mel. When we first met, you were the one thing in the world I couldn't have, but the one I wanted most. That's why I put distance between us in college. I didn't want to do anything to come between you and Justin."

I blinked as tears flooded my eyes. His confession pulled at my every heartstring. And I realized something... "I'm your biggest dream?" I asked as tears started falling.

Liam looked so fragile as he gently swept away each tear. It was as if my following words would save or break him, and I knew what I had to do. What I realized earlier- that I had the power to make his dream come true- both excited and terrified me.

I cupped his cheek, bringing our faces closer. My heart was pounding as I worked up the nerve to speak my next words. "Liam... I love you."

His breathing staggered as his eyes met mine. The look of surprise on his face quickly turned to one of utter bliss. I knew my words were true. I'd been hiding them away for a while now, if I'm being honest.

Falling for Liam was easy, but saying the words aloud still scared me. I haven't loved anyone this way since Justin, and I was finally ready to admit it to myself, to Liam.

He was speechless as I curled my lips into my happiest smile- the one I only wore at times like this, the one I gave only to him. "I love you," I repeated in a whisper.

Liam finally took a breath, beaming as he crashed our lips together. Our collide was full of passion, each of us so perfectly matched as our lips tangled, tasting the words that only just left my mouth.

Suddenly, Liam pulls back, and a soft moan escapes me, encouraging him to join our lips again. His hands move to cradle my face, stopping me from pouncing on him as he plants one soft kiss on my lips.

When he doesn't continue, I frown. I'm seconds away from begging as he halts me with his words. "I love you too, Mel. I love you so much."

We fell into one another's embrace after that, repeating the words over and over as we shed our layers, showing how much we loved each other. The night seemed to last forever as we got lost in our newfound euphoria time after time.

~

It was harder than ever to leave Liam this morning. We both wanted to stay in bed, continuing what we started last night after our shared revelations. But we both had places we had to be.

I finish up with my last class of the day when my boss meets me at the edge of the rink. "You're a natural with them, Mel."

I smile at her as I unlace my skates. "Thank you. It's easy when you do what you love for a living."

Her eyes have a hint of sadness as she nods her head. "Yeah, I supposed that's true," she sighs, sitting next to me on the bench.

"Are you okay, Tammy?" I ask, sensing something's troubling her.

She laughs lightly, shaking her head. "I'm alright, Mel. Just realizing how old I'm getting. I think my days of running this place are just about over."

My heart drops. "What do you mean?"

Tammy looks at me with a sad smile. "I'm retiring, Mel. As much as I love this place, I'm not a Spring chicken anymore. It's getting too much for me to handle."

I nod, trying to get a grip on my emotions. I love working here, and I have no idea what I'll do if she sells it. There's no guarantee that the new owners will keep all of the staff on. Hell, they may not even keep the rink. It may get turned into a concert venue or community center.

I train my face into a neutral expression as Tammy pats my hand. "If I could keep the place and let you trainers manage it, I would, but Bob wants to sell everything and travel while we're still able."

My head moves as I fight back the tears. "So, what's going to happen?"

Tammy turns her eyes to the rink, looking thoughtfully at the ice. "Well, I wanted to let you and the rest of the staff know first. That way, if any of you are interested in buying the place, you'd have first dibs." She looks at me hopefully.

It's always been my dream, but I can't afford to take on a place like this financially right now. The truth hits me hard as I look back at her, wishing I could give her the answer she wants. Instead, I smile sadly and shake my head.

Tammy sniffs back a tear as she nods, gently patting my hand as she looks back around the rink. "It's okay, Mel. I'll try to hold out for a buyer who wants to keep this place intact. Someone who will need teachers with a passion like you."

"Thank you," I whisper, wishing there was something I could do to help both Tammy and myself. I swallow hard as my throat starts to tighten.

I let go of Tammy's hand and start to put my skates back on. I notice her questioning look, so I tell her, "I just need to skate right now."

She gives me a knowing look before standing from the bench. "I'll let you have some peace then. I need to go tell the others the news."

Once my skates are laced, I turn on my music and start skating, willing the sadness to leave my body. I let the tears fall as I twirl around the ice, soaking up every minute I have left here, fearing that I won't have the chance to feel this kind of freedom much longer.