forty-two

Mackenzie

After we finish breakfast, I feel a lot better. Kate texts me that she's leaving for Lea's and Hannah informs me that she and Noah are spending the day on campus, so Dane and I decide to do homework at my house.

We spread out across the dining room table, and I finally feel normal for the first time in a week and a half. Dane seems content to work in silence, and I don't try to change that. It's peaceful in a way, as sunlight comes in through the window and the sound of typing fills the air, and I actually get things done without having to worry about Dane or my roommates.

I make us sandwiches for lunch and then pasta for dinner, and before I know it, it's evening. Dane asks to stay over, and of course I let him, because who am I to say no to an injured man? Not like I'd say no if he wasn't injured either. We curl up in bed together with a movie, and I'm asleep before the first scene is over.

When I wake up in the morning, Dane is still asleep next to me. He looks remarkably peaceful when he sleeps. His dark hair falls over his eyes, and his face looks a lot less intense. I study the lines of his face for a minute, his strong jaw, and proud nose, and dark eyebrows. Resisting the urge to touch him, I roll onto my back and stare at the ceiling, letting my mind wander.

"'Kenzie." His first word is barely understandable. Dane threads his fingers through mine. "Whatcha thinking about?" His voice is sleepy.

"Newspaper layouts." I laugh.

"You're weird." He says happily, rolling towards me so that he can kiss my shoulder. Apparently waking up quite quickly, he gets on his knees so that he's straddling me, puts his hand from his good arm next to my head, and leans down so that he can kiss me. It sends fire racing through me, and it's a real struggle to not moan.

I'm not trying to have sex with Dane the day after we decided that we should date, but boy does my body want to. I place a hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat under my fingers, as I kiss him back. Slow and steady. He nibbles my lower lip, and I do my damned best to not arch my body up into him.

As quickly as it started, he pulls away. "I've gotta go." He tells me. "We're doing a group study session for a biology test."

"Alright." I say reluctantly.

"But I'll be here tonight, for movie night. Noah and I will bring some snacks. Or drinks."

"I love snacks and drinks."

"Rightfully so." He winks. "Otherwise I'd think there's something wrong with you." He kisses me once more and then hops off the bed, apparently feeling quite spry. I watch his well-shaped ass as he pulls his pants on.

"Do you want me to drive you home? It's kind of cold."

"Nah. I just told one of my bio classmates to pick me up here this morning." I smile at how naturally he says this, like it's obvious that this is where he'd be picked up. His phone buzzes and he glances down at it. "That's him."

A kiss later, and he's out of my room, and I'm struck at how empty it suddenly seems as the front door shuts behind him. I move to one of the front windows so I can watch as he hops in the car and gets driven away.

I gather my homework and set up at the kitchen table, working alone for most of the day. Kate comes in and out once, promising to send me Lea's number so that I can start a group chat for movie night. I miss Dane's presence, but feel like I needed the break to catch my bearings again. The last two days have felt like they stretched forever.

Once I get Lea's number, I start a group chat so that we can figure out time, food, and movie. Thus begins a hot debate about what food everyone is getting. We finally settle it after an hour of texting back and forth. I can't help thinking it would have been faster if I'd just assigned out roles.