Chapter 4

Gracie spent most of that evening unpacking her clothes, but around 5, took a shower to get gussied up with dinner with the entire family. The shower head had multiple jets and was pristinely clean. She felt like a whole new person by the time she got out.

She slipped into a silk black dress and black heels. She curled her hair into loose body waves and was putting on makeup right as there were knocks on the door. Saheed opened the door, "Baby baby! Looking fine as per usual. Dabir is going to be proper jealous when he sees you."

She shook her head while putting on a matte, red lipstick. "Why are you always so strung up about Dabir? It seems like all he does is work. Where does he have time to be an issue for you?"

"Babe, please. You don't get it." He shook his head, "Why are you always defending him?"

"Defendi–Come on, Saheed. I'm not defending him, I was just asking." Gracie sprayed her face with a setting spray. "I just feel like you can be a bit on edge when it comes to him, but you've never told me why."

"You don't know!" He yelled.

"Woah, take it easy, I'm just trying to understand." Gracie walked over to Saheed and moved to touch his arm but he flinched it back. "Saheed, calm down, seriously."

"Alright, you're right." He pinched the bridge of his nose and put a hand on his hip, "Let's go. The car is waiting."

In a cutting silence, the pair left the bedroom and walked out front to the black Lamborgini out front. In celebration of Gracie moving in that night, Mr. Ayad rented out a restaurant downtown for family and close friends to enjoy.

From the point they got there, it was like Saheed turned his normal personality back on. He was incredibly sociable and charismatic as he introduced Gracie to the guests that were there.

A staff was on rotation handing out hor dourves and choice drinks. Mr. Ayad came behind Gracie and tapped her on the shoulder. She spun around and was relieved to see a somewhat familiar face. "Oh, hello!"

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Yes! I am at a loss for words with all of this, thank you again for welcoming me into the family. This is much more of a welcome than I ever could have imagined."

He grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, "Let me show you to some of our countries dignitaries."

The two began walking through the crowd of people, before Mr. Ayad stopped in his tracks, "Dabir!" He pulled Gracie behind him towards the entrance where a tall, well built man stood. His eyes were a much darker green than his siblings, and he stood heads taller than the whole family. He wore a suit that was simple, yet clearly expensive. His jaw was chiseled and defined, with a well trimmed beard covering it.

"My son." Mr. Ayad reached up and held Dabir's face in his hands. "I'm glad you're here today."

Dabir held an emotionless face despite his dad's affectionate gesture. He slightly bowed his head at his dad as Mr. Ayad let go of his face. Dabir then turned his eyes to a star-struck Gracie. She was finally meeting the much talked about Dabir. While there were minor facial similarities between the two, everything else about Dabir and Saheed were different. Dabir's mannerisms were composed and calm while Saheed was always moving about and had a tendency to be jittery.

"Gracie, meet Dabir."

The two locked eyes for a moment, Gracie feeling her breath getting caught in her throat. She played it off and broke eye contact, "It's nice to finally meet you, I've heard so much."

He reached out his hand to Gracie, when she took his hand in hers, he firmly gave it a shake. Gracie pulled her hand back and gave a polite smile, "I'm sure we will get to know each other more."

By this point he still had not spoken a word, he gave Gracie a slight smile.

Abruptly, Saheed rushed behind Gracie, wrapping his arms around her waist. She could smell alcohol on him. "Big bro! You met my fiancée! Isn't she hot?"

The little smile that was on Dabir's face was now gone as he sternly watched his little brother erratically move about, yelling as he spoke.. Mr. Ayad was abhorred, "Saheed!"

"What, Baba?" Saheed put both his hands up in surrender, "I did good! I'm the first son to get married, and will give you the first grand kids too!"

"It's not a competition, Saheed."

"Oh yeah right! You are proper jealous, just look at her!" Saheed roughly grabbed Gracie by the waist to show off her shape.

Gracie was horrified and pushed his hands away. "What are you doing?! Stop!"

Dabir spoke up, his voice deep and Arabic accent faint. "Yah! That's enough. It's enough."

In that moment, Gracie learned that what Dabir spoke had some heavy weight. All he did was give a look to some of the security guards across the room, and before anyone knew it, Saheed was swiftly and quietly ushered out.

Mr. Ayad begged Gracie to stay and enjoy her welcome party despite Saheed having to leave, but she felt it was wrong to do so. During the ride in the car, he went from grief to rage to blank, cyclically. "Baby, take it easy. You had too much to drink." Gracie smoothed her hand through Saheed's hair, she felt exhausted.

He pushed her hand back and then put his head in his hands. "What were you talking about with him?!"

"We— I mean, nothing really. Your dad was introducing us."

"Was he talking about me?!"

"What? No. Saheed, please just take it easy, okay? He barely even said two words" Gracie calmly urged, putting her hand on his chest. "Look at me, hey, look at me."

Saheed looked over with red eyes. Gracie walked him through a breathing exercise that she did with her clients. He was able to calm down, but the rest of the car ride was in silence. The silence was loud.

It was going to be a long year.