Chapter 16

Paige POV:

I was finally cleared for practice a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. I haven't played in any games yet but just practicing is boosting my confidence that my leg is now fully healed and I don't have to think twice on any movements I do.

After dressing in my uniform for the first time since December at the Marquette game yesterday it made me want to get back on the court.

Today I had my last meeting with my doctors and surgeon and they told me my knee is good as new and that if I fall or anything I will be fine. It will probably be sore but nothing serious. And that was all I needed to hear to tell Geno I'm ready to play again. So tomorrow is my first game back verse St. John's and I couldn't be more excited.

Geno told the media about me playing tomorrow and it's already all over Twitter and Instagram. I knew my comeback would gain a lot of attention so I wanted to make sure I didn't return on senior day because Dorka, Evina, Christyn, and Liv deserve all the attention for the work they've put into this team for the past 4 years.

As soon as we jog out of the locker room the crowd starts cheering so loud. Once we get to the bench I take it all in and look around, seeing all the signs saying "welcome back Paige" and it honestly makes me tear up. Just seeing all the love and support this Uconn fanbase has for me is just incredible, I couldn't be any happier to play for this school.

Sky comes over and gives me a hug and once I collect myself we do our handshake and she makes her way onto the court. I'm on a minutes restriction so I'm not starting. But Geno did say I would go in about half way into the first quarter.

With about 4 minutes left in the first quarter Geno comes over to me and tells me to sub in for Nika. As soon as I stand up the crowd goes crazy once again.

As soon as the whistle blows I stand up from the scorer's table and step on the court for the first time in 3 months as the crowd gives me a standing ovation which gives me a huge smile, just seeing all the love they have for me.

"Go show them what your made of" Nika says high fiving me before she heads to the bench

"You ready?" Sky asks me with a smile as I walk over to her

"As ready as I'll ever be" I tell her smiling back

"Good because your inbounding the ball" she says pushing me to the sideline where the ref is which makes me laugh.

The ref hands me the ball and I hear the announcer of the game say "Please welcome back on the court, number five, PAIGE BUECKERSSSS" which makes the whole crowd clap and cheer again.

I inbound the ball to Dorka, who passes it to Evina, then Sky cuts to the basket so Evina quickly passes it to her and she gets the easy layup.

With 7 seconds left in the first quarter I dribble up the court to the free throw line and go to shoot it, but get the ball knocked out of my hands. But I quickly pick it back up with a second left and shoot it, making my first basket from my injury, as a buzzer beater.

I make my way over to the student section and get them fired up as the whole arena is cheering and clapping for me again before I head over to the bench and high five all my teammates.

"Of course your first points back is a buzzer beater" Sky says smiling at me as we sit down and get some water

"What can I say, I'm just built different" I say shrugging my shoulders which makes her laugh

We end up winning the game 38-93. I played 12 minutes and had 8 points and Sky had 20 points but she played almost the whole game. I'm still getting comfortable shooting the ball because I was out for so long I don't want to come back and mess up the rhythm my team has found without me.