Chapter 23. Worth It

Aspen

The sound of the piano being played echoed through my ears as I made my way towards the stairs. 

"Good morning Mrs. H!" I say as I set a cup of coffee down on the counter.

"Oh, thank you, dear. You didn't have to do that." She says, her tired, brown eyes lighting up.

"Yes, I did." I grin as I walk up the winding stairs.

I lean against the railing once I get to the top. Watching Theo's muscles move as he plays Make You Feel My Love by Adele.

I quietly tip-toe my way over, wrapping my arms around his shoulders, and his back presses against my chest. I kiss his cheek and he smiles as he focuses on the keys, his dirty blonde hair slightly falling in his eyes. 

"Hey." He says when he finishes the song.

"Hey, baby." He says, leaning his head back to kiss me.

I smile against his lips, and my hand comes up to his neck, lightly grasping his jaw. 

"Theodore?" Mrs. H calls from downstairs.

"Yes, Mrs. H?"

"Will you sing something?" She asks and I grin.

"No, Mrs. H." He says.

"I tried." She says as we hear her walk away from the bottom of the steps. 

"You ready to go?" I ask, handing him a to-go cup of coffee.

"Yep." He says, grabbing the cup from my hand. "Let's go kick some ass, shall we?"

"We shall," I say as I walk down the winding steps.

"Bye Mrs.H!" Theo says as he throws his arm around my shoulder.

"Bye darlings." She says, her eyes crinkling in the corners.

"I'm gonna miss her," Theo says, opening the passenger side of his truck door as I climb in.

"Me too," I say.

The engine roars as he switches the truck into reverse. He puts his hand on the back of my headrest as he looks behind him, turning the steering wheel with one hand.

"Where the fuck is your PRNDL?" I ask.

"My what?!" He asks, turning to look at me.

"You know, the PRNDL... From The Suite Life of Zack and Cody?"

"I never really watched that." He says and my mouth gapes open.

"You're joking?" I ask and he shakes his head. "We're watching it."

"Sounds good. Now, what the fuck is a PRNDL?"

"It's your gear shift... You know, Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Low." I say and he laughs.

"It's right here." He points behind the wheel.

"I thought that was your turn signal."

"That's on the other side." He says and I nod.

"I always thought it was odd that it was on the right side." 

He laughs, throwing his head back. "Oh my God, I love you." He says before he clamps his jaw shut.

"What?" I ask, my mouth gaping open.

"I said.. I love.. hanging out with you.." He stammers, avoiding my gaze.

"No, you didn't." I say and he nods his head up and down quickly.

"Yes, I did. Maybe you just need to get your hearing checked." He says, uncomfortably shifting in his seat.