Chapter 31

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry." Belaren put a cautious, awkward arm over his sister's slim shoulders. "I should've been here."

To Esmera's surprise, Lady Varali didn't scowl or shove Belaren away, but she kept her eyes on her unconscious brother. "As the second-born child, I was always going to succeed Ajai if he couldn't continue his duties for some reason. I don't blame you for my birthright...but I would've liked for you to be here with me. It was" —Lady Varali took a shaky breath— "it was a lot to do alone. Amma and Daksh were here, of course, but it wasn't the same as having you, who knew what it meant to be a Vinsingh as well as I did. Hansika was just born...it wasn't a good time for me. For anyone in the family." She swallowed.

Esmera looked at the ground. It was easier than looking at this man she might've known if life hadn't been so cruel to them both, than looking into the faces of the sister and brother who had resigned themselves to losing him.

Belaren held Lady Varali tighter. "I remember all those days we spent up in the mango tree, gorging ourselves on the fruits." A half-smile settled onto his mouth. "Then Amma would call us for supper, and we wouldn't have an appetite."

Lady Varali gave a choked laugh, flipping a lock of her black hair that had fallen over her shoulder behind it. "We were so carefree then. We didn't fear anything, not even gravity." She looked up at Belaren then over at Esmera and Tauram, eyes fierce though they were filled with tears. "If it's a memory walker you need, I'll help you."

Belaren blinked. "We didn't say we needed a memory walker."

Esmera shot him a warning look. They did need a memory walker, and if Lady Varali was willing to offer her aid, they shouldn't play games with her. They didn't have that kind of time.

"You said you needed a favour from Ajai. I figured the rest out myself." Lady Varali's eyes bored into her brother. "I know Ajai was more powerful than me, but there's nothing he can do for you now. I am the only trained memory walker in this house."

Belaren raised his eyebrows. "We haven't even told you why we need a memory walker."

Lady Varali's hardened with the strength and determination she had wielded when single-handedly took over an estate and a state. "Ajai wouldn't want me to turn you away empty-handed if you came seeking his help. Besides, I've taken on enough of his responsibilities. What's one more?"

But this wasn't just one more of Ajai's responsibilities. This was something that could be labelled treason, a right to undo a wrong that wouldn't be seen as such by everyone.

Esmera, Tauram and Belaren exchanged a look. In their eyes, Esmera read the same thought she had—that the less Lady Varali knew, the better. The family had known too much loss, and they couldn't afford to have their safety compromised if King Ruagu found out about their involvement in Esmera and Tauram's mission. He may not harm them if they couldn't give him the information they wanted about the rightful king's movements, but he seemed so ruthless that even that wasn't a guarantee.