fourteen.

❝honestly, i didn't think abouthow we didn't say goodbyejust see you very soonit hurts to be somethingit's worse to be nothing with you❞

 honestly, i didn't think about
how we didn't say goodbye
just see you very soon
it hurts to be something
it's worse to be nothing with you

— promise, laufey

IT WAS FINALLY THE DAY OF NEIL'S PLAY.

Florence couldn't even pay attention to Mrs. Elrod's class as she was teaching geometry. The clock above the door clicked slowly; Florence patiently watched the clock hit three. She tapped her fingers repetitively while paying attention to the math equations.

"Three... two... one!"

The bells rang, signaling the end of her school day. Florence lept out of her seat, grabbing her bag before Mrs. Elrod could say goodbye.

"Bye, Mrs. Elrod! Have a great weekend!" She exclaimed joyfully, rushing out of the door. She bumped into Todd, whose eyes widened with a welcomed surprise.

"Todd!" Florence exclaimed, her heart jumping out of her chest. "Aren't you excited about Neil's play?"

Todd nodded sheepishly. "Not as excited as you are," he chuckled. They exchanged laughs, approaching their dorms.

"Knox read his poem for Chris, you know," Todd added.

The brunette widened her eyes. "Oh, what did she say?"

"Nothing. He was glad he said it, though."

Florence furrowed her eyebrows, snickering as they arrived at her dorm. Before she entered, Todd spoke up.

"I read your gift. It was beautiful," he nodded. "Thank you for giving it to me!"

Florence returned a sweet smile, pleased that he loved her book suggestion. "I'm glad you enjoyed it, Todd. If you want any more story recommendations, you know who to ask."

Todd nodded, watching her close the door slightly. He was very introverted, Florence thought.

-

When she shut the door, she immediately pulled out the dress she had been saving for this occasion. It was a fitted plaid blazer paired with a beautiful matching skirt, perfect for winter. She did her hair before putting on her stockings and shoes and finally did her makeup. Florence's mother believed she had a weird routine whenever she got ready, but she didn't care.

Florence put on a coat before waiting outside the boys' bathroom, where the poets did their final touches. They were yelling excitedly, causing the girl to get impatient. "Hurry up!" She shouted, crossing her arms.