Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

08. Don't Shoot the Messenger

Ashton got the house, as he promised. Thanks to the power of money because we don't need to wait for months to get the process done. It felt surreal when we inspected the house, but now it's so close to becoming reality. And before I know it, I'm now swamped with work and house planning. Searching for good interior designs and having an argument with Chloe over the subject has become our daily routine.

"So, who can I invite for the housewarming party?" she asks when I'm busy checking design samples from the designer Emily recommended.

I glance at her from behind my laptop screen. "We haven't even decided what color for the roof, and you're already listing the party guests?"

"As long as it's not pink, I'm cool with it."

"What is it with you and the pink color? You used to love it."

"It's a little girl's color. Didn't you see those girls at Ashton's gathering? They all wore pink. Ew." She scrunches her nose.

I bite my lower lip to suppress my laugh. But she's right about the outrageous pink dresses of those younger girls at the gathering two weeks ago. Apparently, it was a dress code they agreed on beforehand, and for some reason, no one passed me the information. For now, I want to believe that they saw Chloe as not a young girl anymore.

The gathering has become a distant memory to me, buried in my work demands and house planning. But I still remember those faces when I told them working in the erotica business was fun. Shock, surprise, uneasiness, and eagerness for juicy gossip were plastered on their pretty faces. I came to the conclusion that there was no point in correcting them if they already decided what they wanted to believe. Why waste my breath?

"You're right. Pink wouldn't be very attractive for a roof color." I hand my laptop to Chloe. "Look at these samples. They are all beautiful. It's from the designer Emily's using now for their resorts. I think we should give it a shot."

"Woah! These are super cool!" Chloe says once she checks the design.

"I know, right? I'm going to ask Emily if she can take us to their showroom. She knows the owner well."

"Is Ashton going too?"

"Uh. I will need to ask Emily if he can come with us. But I think she will say no."

Chloe sighs and gives back my laptop. "They're still not talking to each other. Why have they been angry at each other for so long?"

It's what they're good at, but of course, I'm not saying it out loud. "Two weeks is not that long. I hope Emily won't stay mad for long."

"Okay. But why is Emily angry?"

"She's just disappointed that Ashton can not help in their family business anymore."

"Oh?" she says. "That's a shame. I would probably be disappointed too if you couldn't help with my difficult homework. Why can't Ashton help?"

I close my laptop and give my full attention to my daughter. "He has too much on his plate right now. If he had to do it, we would probably only see him once a month, even though we lived under the same roof. Too much work, too many business trips."

"Oh."

"You know what? I think it's better if I go first with Emily. If it's something we will like, then we go there together, with Ashton."

I honestly wish Ashton canceled his plan to pull out of Trisure Group, but knowing that it would affect our quality time as a family, I can see his point. But then again, his resignation will leave a big hole that's going to attract unwanted investors. And the thought drags me back to Frederick Sauers.