Chapter 5

The room was bathed in a soft glow as the sun's rays filtered through the curtains, casting a warm, orange hue on every surface. Hyunjin stirred in his bed, his heart heavy with a mixture of ache and yearning. This morning was different, it held a weight that he couldn't ignore. He knew his crush on Changbin was growing everyday but today, he knew that his feeling shifted to something deeper. The remnants of his dream still lingered in his mind, taunting him with what could never be. Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine falling for Changbin, and now, the ache in his chest was almost unbearable.

It was painful, agonizing even, because he knew deep down that he could never act upon these feelings. He could never confess to Changbin, risking their friendship and the life they had created as Stray Kids. Before, these feelings were unwelcome, unwanted intruders in his heart, but now, Hyunjin had learned to embrace them, to make them his own.

His dreams, once mere figments of his imagination, now wove intricate scenes of a future life with Changbin. Today's dream, in particular, left him with an ache that vibrated through his entire being. As he woke, his longing intensified, a deep yearning to have Changbin by his side. He could almost feel the warmth of Changbin's arms wrapped around him, a protective cocoon shielding him from the harsh realities of the world.

Hyunjin let out a soft, melancholic sigh as his mind raced with thoughts, creating vivid and beautiful imaginations. He craved for the day when he could share these dreams with Changbin, when their hearts would intertwine and their souls would find comfort in each other's embrace. But for now, all he could do was cherish these moments in the silence of his own heart, silently longing for a love that may forever remain unspoken.

Being an idol had brought him fame, success, and a life he had always dreamed of. But it also came with its own set of restrictions. One of the many sacrifices he had to make for his career was the freedom to date. The management company had strict rules in place to maintain the pristine image of their idols. No romantic relationships were allowed, as they believed it could potentially stain the carefully crafted public persona. The pressure to conform to these rules weighed heavily on his shoulders.

But the restrictions went even further. Dating a boy was completely out of the question. In a society where conservative values still held power, the idea of a same-sex relationship was met with prejudice and discrimination. The fear of backlash from fans, media, and even his own management and bandmates loomed over him like a dark cloud.

Lately, he's been wondering how his life would be if he wasn't an idol, with all these restrictions. Would he have the courage to express his feelings towards Changbin if they were just regular people, living a normal life? He would definitely have less to lose.

-----

"No sad dog videos today?" Changbin playfully teases Hyunjin, peeking into his room without permission. As far as Changbin is concerned, if the door is open, he can walk in without asking.

Hyunjin paused mid-stroke on his canvas, startled to find Changbin in his room. He felt a twinge of embarrassment, remembering what had transpired between them the night before. Trying to distract himself from the thoughts of the rapper, he had resorted to watching dog videos in an attempt to lift his spirits. As the clips played on autoplay, his algorithm led him to a particular video that struck a chord. It portrayed an innocent puppy losing its best friend, a cow. Unbeknownst to the puppy, the cow had been taken away from the farm to give birth to her calf. Throughout the video, tears streamed down Hyunjin's face as his heart broke for the pair. Compelled to watch it again, he realized that the video served as an outlet for his own emotions. It was at this vulnerable moment that Changbin had entered the room and saw him in that state. He had quickly paused the video when he saw Changbin approving him with concern.