01 . moving in

I stuff the last of my items into my brand new duffel bag and zip it up

I stuff the last of my items into my brand new duffel bag and zip it up. I throw it onto my shoulder, closing my bedroom door and exiting my apartment. I'm rushing to the airport. I can't afford to miss this flight. I walk through the hallways of my apartment and press the button for the elevator. It seems like time is going slower just because I have somewhere important to be.

I impatiently wait for the elevator. Thoughts about missing this flight run through my mind. My anxiety becomes more intense with every second that passes. Finally, it opens.

I quickly press the floor P and wait for the doors to close. I rub my sweaty palms against my sweatpants. The anxious feeling doesn't seem to fade away, even with how many times I tell myself to calm down. This is a life changing opportunity. It's my dream. My fingers brush together nervously and the elevator opens with a ding.

I quickly fish my keys out of my purse and walk out into the parking lot. I placed my duffel bag in the backseat and got in the front, driving to the airport.

After speeding there I get through all the long lines of security and baggage checking. I check my boarding passes and walk to my gate, stopping for a smoothie somewhere on the way. As I'm arriving at the gate I made perfect timing with the boarding beginning in 10 minutes.

Once I'm boarded on the flight I slide on my Airpod Pro's, starting my playlist up.

It all feels so surreal to be on this flight. The fact that I'm going to compete in the Olympics. Usually, I'd have to compete in a bunch of competitions internationally, but for me there was an exception.

The competitions go all the way around the world and are a part of qualifying for the Olympics, but since I'm doing all of the New York competitions and I have experience, I'm qualified enough.

I also think that Elise possibly put in a word for me.

I'd drunkenly emailed the most world renowned figure skating coach. The most famous figure skater ever. A former Victoria Secret model. The Elise Woodland.

I'd attached all of my credentials to the email and when I woke up I had a response. I ran around my room, screaming and jumping in joy. I'm barely out of college and I have the opportunity to go to the Olympics.

Elise had said that her previous student dropped out and she needed a replacement as soon as possible, and who am I to decline her offer?

So here I am now. On a flight to New York City, going to compete in the olympics.

-

My brother called me, letting me know that he'd be coming to pick me up soon. I'll be staying at his and his fiance's apartment. I have my duffel bag strapped over my shoulder. It's so heavy because I stuffed it to the brim, almost breaking the zipper in the process.

I walk through the large airport. Finally I make it to where all the cars are, picking up people and I spot my brother's car. He steps out, waving at me.