Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 30: Hunter, don't just sit there!

Hunter and I are greeted by two men at the front door, both insisting on performing a security check. Once cleared, we're escorted into a beautiful room housing thousands of books. Shelves full of colourful spines stare back at me, grand and majestic. I'm not much of a reader, but even I can appreciate the beauty of this room. We're encouraged to take a seat on the leather sofa, the back sticking to my skin as I continue to sweat, nervous to be in the presence of Murphy unarmed. Hunter persistently bounces his leg, prompting the sofa beneath us to shake. It's rare for him to be this worked up, but I don't blame him. Murphy is terrifying. One wrong move and it's game over.

"We're gonna be okay," I whisper, aware of the many men dotted around the room.

Hunter says nothing, eyes staring blankly ahead.

"I trust you come baring good news," states Murphy, entering the room in a black shirt, black trousers and a black blazer.

Dangerous.

"Yes," answers Hunter, standing out of respect.

I follow suit, keen to have this interaction go as smoothly as possible.

"Go on..."

Hunter is moments away from speaking when a woman walks in, carrying a pot of tea.

"Forgive me," muses Murphy, approaching us. "I haven't even offered you refreshments."

I watch as the woman sets out three teacups and pours brown liquid into each one. Her hands tremble, arms covered in bruises and scratches. I notice she has a small tattoo on her wrist, a love heart.

"Thank you," I offer, smiling. "What's your name?"

She looks to Murphy before speaking, seemingly in need of his approval.

"Annie."

Her voice is quiet, barely breeching a whisper.

"Hi, Annie. I'm Nicole."

Murphy watches me, aware of what I'm doing.

"That'll be all," he insists, sending her away.

He sits on the armchair opposite and gestures for us to do the same. Taking his time, he then adds milk to his tea and slowly sips, certainly a fan of the theatrics.

"You don't approve of the company I keep, Nicole."

It isn't a question.

"It's hardly my concern," I reply.

"Still, I'd like your opinion on the matter."

I take hold of my tea, in serious need of buying myself a minute or two.

"Well?"

"I think you and I have different opinions on what a woman's role is."

He takes a sip and laughs, placing the cup down in front of him. "Not at all. I hold women with the highest regard. They play a very important role in my house."

"Where?"

Hunter shuffles, silently warning me.

"In my bed."

I just about manage to keep my tea down.

"Relax, Nicole. They like it."

I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from responding.

"Most of them."

Hunter intervenes, the clatter of his cup hitting the coffee table pulling focus.

"We know what Torin has planned."

icon lock

Show your support for Rebecca-Jade, and continue reading this story

by Rebecca-Jade
@Rebecca-Jade
Therapist Nicole Hudson is supposed to have it all, but in reality, s...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Rebecca-Jade.