twenty five

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
[25]
song: anywhere but here by pvris

"You have a week." Singh says.

Cassie's eyes widen. "A week?"

"I've told you both before that I am not a man of infinite patience." Singh starts to walk past them and back towards the porch. It appeared he was offended by the fact that they'd bested him, and that they were correct about the fact that they were in fact, his last resort.

"You have something on this diary, right?" Rafe quickly starts to follow after him. "We're not just going into this completely blind?"

"It belonged to Denmark Tanny, a cook on the Royal Merchant ship." Singh says, continuing his walk inside. "Inside of it are clues I need to locate the city of gold."

Rafe glances at Cassie, beneath his cold gaze she could tell he was seething with anger.

"That's it?" Cassie speaks up. "You have no information on a possible location?"

The guards following Singh step in front of him to open the front door to his home. "I would start by finding that out from your friends." He says, turning around and nodding towards the two.

When the guards start to shut the door on them, Rafe puts his hand up, forcefully stopping the door from closing on them. "How the hell are we supposed to get home?" Rafe spoke sternly, keeping the door propped open with his hand.

"Well, how did you get here, Mr. Cameron?" Singh asks.

Rafe was silent, and still, he was eyeing the guard who was still ready to shut the door on them, and then Singh, who was finding pleasure in pushing by Rafe's buttons.

Rafe's nose twitched with anger before he spoke again. "This is a fucking joke." He says, and as he quickly leaned off the door, the guard raised his gun up toward him.

Perhaps he'd moved too fast for the guard to find comfortable, as he started shouting at Rafe to back up. Cassie had sprung forward and pulled Rafe back before he got himself shot, though his arms were up and he'd stumbled back before she got a chance to do much. "Chill out, chill out." Rafe spoke.

Singh calmly directed the guard to lower the gun. "Have my driver take them back to the port." He says, to one of the guards positioned on the porch, and then the door shut.

Silence overcame them, both of them in shock.

Rafe started to pace, and Cassie, who was fighting off exhaustion, starvation, and sheer panic all at once, squatted down to her knees and rest her face in her palms.

She couldn't believe she was still alive. There had been so many instances in the past month where she should've died or been killed. And somehow, somehow she just kept finding herself alive.

She felt she was undeserving. She'd been given too many chances at life and every time she felt herself wasting it all away. And now, she found herself having to betray her friends once again.

"Shit!" Rafe yelled, startling Cassie.

She leaned up from her plans and looked at him, watching as he dug his fingernails into his palms and paced, watching as heat radiated off of him.