༺𝐈༻

September 6th, 1959

How the hell did I get here?

Moving schools junior year is a challenge in its own right, but an all boys school of all choices? Sure— Welton is prestigious, I'll get a higher education, any girl that has the talent would kill to be in my position. I'm grateful and all, but I was happy, comfortable before. Todd's transition won't be half as hard for him as it is for me. Yeah, he's quiet and I might be more outgoing, but he isn't the odd one out of the group. I am. I can only imagine the hormones I'll be surr-

My journaling was interrupted by a knock on my door.

"Amber? Can I come in?"

I hesitate with a quiet sigh, "Yes mother."

I put my journal away as my mother entered my room. Journaling kept my mind at ease, let me release any thoughts lingering at the end of the day. It was therapeutic in a sense, especially during times like these.

"You have everything packed for tomorrow," she asked as she rummaged through my bags, "You've never been gone for so long before."

I nodded at her. I stayed sitting at my desk.

"Excited?" She asked, still obsessively checking through my bags.

"Sure." I replied in a sarcastic tone.

She didn't catch the sarcasm part though as she just smiled over at me. She never paid enough attention to notice the feelings behind what I say, but just enough to hear the words on the surface. Neither did my father, so one tends to get used to it.

My brother paid enough attention, maybe too much. He can read right through me. He can understand the meaning in what I say. I don't know if it's a sibling instinct or just the way he is, but it's nice to have someone that listens. Sometimes I think we'd be better off just on our own. If there's anything good to come out of our transfer to Welton: it's that we finally get that opportunity.

When my mother finally finished looking through my luggage, she looked over at me and smiled.

"First girl at Welton, huh? That's really something you know."

I only gave her a small smile as a response.

She came over and squeezed my shoulder, "You'll be okay, get to bed soon. It's a big day tomorrow." Then gave me a kiss on my forehead.

I smiled a little more, this time genuinely. During these moments I remember that deep down she cares. She's just another mother trying her best, but most times her "best" isn't enough.

She left the room and went on to my brother's. I pulled back out my journal to finish off the rest of my thoughts:

Yeah, sure, I'll be surrounded by plenty of hormones. But maybe this is for the better. For me. For Todd. I've only imagined what being out of my parent's control would be like. This is the golden opportunity. New beginnings call for new adventures right? Might as well enjoy the journey then spend my time dreading it.

A.A

༺༻

(Author's Note: This is so short because I was only setting up the situation for our character! Trust me when I say there will be a lot more writing in these other chapters ♥︎)