Weird Stuff Going On

I suck a deep breath in through my nose and let it out slowly. I should have known traffic would be redirected. Glassboro has a Christmas parade on Main Street every year and unfortunately, my hotel's on the same road. After twenty minutes of redirection, I find the entrance to the hotel's parking lot and park the sedan I've had since high school in front of the registration office.

There's a cruiser behind me. I watch Sheriff Gray talk to a woman I went to high school with. I don't remember her much. She was in a different clique than I was. All jocks. Miss popular. Captain of the soccer team... Or maybe it was Softball. I can't remember.

I grab my keys and wallet and climb out of the car. The faster I check into my hotel room, the faster I can get out of view of any potential bypassers. Glassboro is small. The odds of someone recognizing me are high. Especially with the reputation I had when I left. The office door dings when I walk through it. A kid, maybe nineteen, stares at me, his eyes wide behind his glasses.

"Hi. I'm trying to check in. Last name's Harrison." I dig through my wallet for my ID and debit card. When I look up again, the kid is staring at my chest. "My eyes are up here, buddy." I look at his name tag. Billy. I must have gone to high school with him if I'm right about his age. I would have been closer to graduating when he started school but regardless, I'd have seen him around. And yet, Billy doesn't ring a bell. Bright orange hair, too much acne, freckles, pale white skin... Did I really dementia myself out of this town?

"Uh. S–Sorry. My bad. Yeah." He extends a hand to take my ID.

I don't hold it against him. It's probably the first time he's seen boobs that aren't behind a screen in "modest is hottest" Glassboro.

"Harrison, um. Like, Luke's daughter?"

I force a frown down and replace it with a smile. "Is my room ready?"

The boy sputters an apology and starts writing something in a notebook with such vigor I'm afraid he might strain his toothpick arms.

"You guys haven't started using computers around here yet?" I ask.

Billy smiles. "No, ma'am. No need for it. You're the only person who's checked in all day." He hands my ID back to me.

"Huh. Weird. How do you guys stay in business? Secret drug laundering operation?" I'm joking but the kid's face flashes pale if only for a moment before he lets out an awkward laugh and slides a room key across the desk.

"You're room four. We offer complimentary coffee." He motions to the coffee pot on a table at the other side of the room. "And we have a landline if you need." He motions to the other side of the same desk. "Next to the Christmas tree."

"Awesome. Thanks." I grab the keycard and start toward the door but Billy stops me.

"There's some weird stuff going on in town." He says it too loud. "If you need anything, just come get me, okay?" He chuckles awkwardly. "Faster than the sheriff, you know." He rubs his arm and looks at the ground before he can finish the sentence.

I laugh but Billy doesn't follow suit. He's... serious? He can hardly talk to a pretty girl. What's he planning on doing if someone tries to traffic me? I pull myself together before he manages to make eye contact again.

"Thanks, Billy."

He nods once and I find my way to my room. It's not hard. The hotel's set up in a single row, doors with golden numbers facing the parking lot. I'll move my car to the spot in front of my room later. Right now I just want to get inside before anyone can stop me.

I do. I slam the powder blue door behind me, but someone's knocking before I can even flip the light switch on. It has to be Billy. I didn't see anyone else who would be interested in talking. He must have followed me from the front office. I let out a slow breath through my nose, clutch my pepper spray, and open the door before I can overthink it. But when I open it, it's not Billy at all.