Fat Girl Problem 24: Anger

"Quinn, you should still try to increase your self-esteem," Cece said gently.

      I shook her head, even though she couldn't see me since we were talking through the phone.

      "I'm tired of going in circles. I'm so tired of building myself up, only to get torn down. I'm fat. This is the life I'll have to suffer through."

      Ding dong.

      "Quinn-"

      "Wait, the door bell just rang. I'll call you back later," I said, tiredly getting up.

       "This isn't over," Cece quickly said.

       I smiled as I ended the phone call. Even though I didn't want to continue this specific conversation, I hoped I could go back to talking to Cece soon. She was the best friend I ever had.

      I walked downstairs and to the door. As soon as I opened the door, my jaw dropped. There standing in front of me was a sobbing Thea who looked like a wreck.

       Blinking once, I said, "Oh my. What happened?"

      "Connor dumped me," she sobbed.

       I quickly led her into the house, unsure of what to do. I was surprised, but honestly they didn't seem like a good match. Their personalities were vastly different. A part of me thought this was a good turn of events.

       I led Thea upstairs to my room. Once she sat down on my bed, I quickly grabbed a tissue box and handed it to her. Her make up was running down her face and for once she didn't look stunning. That allowed me to feel some pity towards her.

       "What happened?" I asked gently, once she finished cleaning up.

       It was a complete mystery to me. Connor, Brad, Thea, and I had spent New Years Eve together. From what I saw they were totally fine together that day. What made Connor do that?

       "He called me yesterday," Thea choked out with fresh tears forming in her eyes. "He told me he likes another girl."

       I stared at Thea, completely in shock. Connor likes another girl? Anger filled me. I knew Connor couldn't control his feelings, but he couldn't just dump Thea like that. It seemed so wrong. No one deserves to be dumped over the phone either.

       Shaking my head, I said, "What a jerk."

       "I still love him though!" she exclaimed bursting into tears again.

       Exhaling lightly, I sat next to her and wrapped my arms around her. She hugged me back and just cried and cried. I felt horrible now. How could Connor do this?

      "How could you do that to Thea?" I asked, trying to remain cool.

       Connor's eyes drifted from his locker to me briefly. From that single second where our eyes met, I knew he was already angered by me. I didn't care though. After spending Sunday with a sobbing Thea, I knew I had to talk to Connor. He couldn't just dump her on the phone like that, without even trying to be kind about it either.

      He shrugged, pulling a textbook out of his locker. "It's not my fault."

      "I know, but why did you have to dump her over the phone. Why didn't you do it more kindly?" I asked, sighing tiredly.

      He turned around to face me, rage filling his eyes. I hadn't seen the rage in his eyes recently, so I was slightly taken aback. However, I didn't back down. I wouldn't.

      "This is none of you business," he growled.

       Anger filled me. Yes, I was mad. An emotion that I rarely felt in my life. Even though I was constantly teased and treated badly, I never felt mad about it. I was always just upset. Today I was angry and not upset though.

       "She's my friend," I said calmly, even though I felt extremely angry. "It's my business too."

       Connor's eyes darkened. "This brings us back to what I said before. You're so fucking naive Quinn. Thea has been using you the entire time because we're close. That's the only reason why she even became your friend."

       My eyes widened in shock. I always had a feeling that was true deep down, but I honestly didn't believe it. The fact that Connor said it so bluntly hurt. I hated the fact he thought I was so naive. I wasn't, Thea wasn't using me.

       "I'm not naive!" I snapped. "Stop saying that you asshole!"

       I instantly felt bad, but the anger that appeared clearly on Connor's face made me feel less bad. Suddenly, Connor took a step forward, creating no space between us. His eyes were all I could see right now, and they were menacing. Still I didn't back down. There was no way I would after what he said.

       "Don't come crawling back to me when you get hurt Quinn," he growled lowly.

        Without another word he slammed his locker shut and walked off, leaving me stunned in my spot. Whoa. I had never seen him so angry and it was pretty terrifying. Shivering, I closed my eyes briefly.

       I was still in shock. Not just because of his anger. I was also shocked by the fact that we had gotten so close, and now that had seemed to vanish in a second. Slight regret filled me. This isn't my fault though.

        Taking a deep breath in, I walked off in the other direction. I wouldn't come crawling back to him. Not now, not ever.

        "Oh Quinn," Cece said, sighing sadly. "Why did you do that?"

       "He hurt Thea," I said, frowning as I held the phone closer to my ear. "I was trying to teach him a lesson."

       "I know. I'm just worried about your friendship."

       "You think it's that serious?" I asked nervously.

        She didn't reply right away, and that was answer enough. Sighing myself, I closed my eyes.

       "Do you think I'm naive?" I asked.

       "No offence, but kind of. Thea is using you. That's why I'm not her biggest fan."

       My eyes flew open. Even Cece thinks that? Am I really that naive?

       "Thea is a good friend," I said defensively.

       "A good actress too," Cece commented.

       I huffed. "I'm not going to crawl back to him."

       "I know he's at fault too, he shouldn't of been so angry but don't be so hard on him. He's just looking out for you."

       "Why are you always on his side?"

       She sighed. "Because I knew him for quite a while."

      "Really?" I asked curiously.

       "Yeah, since grade five but I haven't talked to him until he became friends with you," she replied.

       I found that interesting. Cece knew Connor for a while, meaning she kind of watched him grow up. A part of me wished I could be her at the moment. It would be interesting to see a young Connor. Shaking my head, I realized I was already kind of forgiving him.

       "I got to go," I said. "Bye."

       "Bye, I hope this gets better," she responded.

       I didn't say anything to that and hung up. Honestly, I didn't know how to feel. He broke Thea's heart and then hurt me. Even though I loved Connor as a friend, there was no way I'd come crawling back. He caused me to become angry, something that never happens. That meant this was serious.