Chapter 25

The Internship Interview, About 15 Years Ago

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

The Internship Interview,
About 15 Years Ago

I just broke up with Gary.

My mind races the entire trek to the building where I'm scheduled to interview. I can't believe what I just did. Gary has been a part of my life for nearly two years and now, there is going to be a huge, gaping hole. Our lives are so wrapped up in each other. He's the only person I hang out with and the only person I've ever slept with. It'll be years before I'm able to untangle the strands that connect our hearts.

More tears threaten to unleash but I quickly pull any reserve of strength I have left. I need to focus. This is my biggest shot for a successful career and I can't screw it up. With deep breaths in and out, I stride over to the elevator and quickly check my black tote for my packet. It's still here, tucked firmly between copies of my resume and laptop.

You got this Talia, stay strong! My stomach growls loudly and I clutch it, hoping it'll settle down.

As soon as the elevator doors open, an icy cold sensation hits my back. I jump. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" a woman yells, prompting me to turn around.

The older woman carries an open cup of iced coffee that's filled only halfway. She looks horrified staring between her cup and my back. As soon as the coldness spreads to my lower back, I know exactly what happened and my stomach drops. Oh, no.

"This guy bumped into me! I'll go grab some paper towels!" the woman says as she flees to the front reception area of the lobby.

I glance over my shoulder and find all along my backside light brown splotches of wet material. Oh, fuck. Ugh! I look up, frowning, just as the elevator doors are about to close. I don't have time to wait for the woman to help. My interview is scheduled to start in ten minutes. I rush in and smack the already lit button for the eleventh floor.

The space is half-filled with men and women in business attire. I rummage through my purse to see if I have anything that can help mop up some of the coffee. A deep voice from behind startles me back. "Yikes, I'm sorry. That might've been my fault."

I turn around to find a tall man standing behind me. It takes a moment to register that I know him. He's the guy I met at the party last Christmas. "Oh, hey," I say just as he lifts his brows.

"Hey! Talia, right?"

"Yeah. And Lucas, right?"

"Yeah! You remember." He smiles before looking at my backside. His face instantly scrunches in concern.

Of course I remember him. He's the cute guy who made me forget everything, all the drama with Gary, for a single night. While I haven't seen him since the party, every so often I thought about him and what a blast he was to hang out with. Maybe he can be my new friend in this post-Gary world? Or maybe not. I'm kind of done with guys for a while.

The Mergerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें