Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 27

Cameron

It's almost the end of October, and my stress levels are running high.

For starters, we're gearing to head into the middle of the season, and although we're leading our division, plenty of things can still go wrong. I have to remain on my game. The fans are expecting perfection and nothing less. I can't afford to have an off-game, and the thought is terrifying.

Plus, it doesn't help that today is also the last day Katie gave me to make up my mind on whether or not I'll attend the gala with her as her date. The thought keeps me up at night as to what the right decision is to make. Maddie made herself perfectly clear as to what she wants me to do, but to give up all she's ever worked for just like that to appease a psycho ex of mine? It doesn't seem fair. None of it does.

There has to be another way.

Releasing an irritated sigh, I exit the locker room and shove my phone hastily into my sweatpants pocket. The private investigator says he's working on it, but is he really? I'm paying him a pretty penny. Is he just using my funds to sit on his ass? I'll never know.

And we're out of time. My decision has to be today. I told Maddie I'd give Katie the go-ahead to release the video if I couldn't find any dirt on her, and yet it's going on dinnertime and I have yet to inform Katie of my decision.

Am I supposed to let the person I love throw away everything she's ever worked for because I decided to hook up with Katie in the first place? Maddie deserves better than this. We deserve better than this.

My Audi is parked in its usual spot in the parking lot. I climb inside, resting the back of my head against the headrest while inhaling deeply through my nose. All I want to do is go home to my wife, but I know that as soon as I walk through the front door, I'll be bombarded with questions about whether or not I've told Katie to release the footage.

A part of me doesn't want to deal with it because I know that when I tell Maddie I'm fine with suffering through a night of a boring gala if it means she'll get to keep her dream of becoming a doctor, she's going to lose it with me.

I get where she's coming from, I do. Agreeing to be Katie's date is letting her know she has control over us and the situation. It's more of a dig to Maddie than it is to me. While I could give two fucks about what the media's opinion is of us, it's not just me I have to think about. It's Maddie. Izzy. Our family. The repercussions of whatever I decide will be endless.

The shrill of my ringtone sends a wave of nausea rolling through my body, but when I check my phone, I'm relieved to see Ethan's name flash on the screen. "Hey man," I say, attempting to muster a smile. He's holding Elias in a rocking chair as he moves back and forth, keeping him fast asleep. "How's dad life?"

"Better than I ever imagined it would be," he replies. "Just wanted to call and check in on you. See how things were going. We haven't talked in a while."

Right. Because aside from a psycho holding blackmail over our heads and the weight of the world on my shoulders to carry my team to victory, I also have to add being a shitty best friend to the list. Elias is already two weeks old, and I still haven't been able to find time away from work to meet my nephew.

I could lie to myself and say it's completely due to work, but due to therapy, I know it's more than that. Seeing Ethan as a dad to Elias at this stage is hard for me because I'll never remember Izzy being that small. I'll never have memories of bringing her home from the hospital or having sleepless nights with Maddie. All of her firsts I missed out on. It doesn't make it right, but seeing Ethan with a newborn is a huge trigger for a past I'm still trying to heal from.

"I'm trying to get away," I reply, which is the truth. "The pressure is intense, and Coach doesn't want me doing anything that would jeopardize—"

Ethan cuts me off. "I get it, man. You don't have to explain yourself to me. I know you'll be here when you can to meet Elias. I was talking about you. Your life. How are you?"

Does he have a fifth fucking sense or some shit?

"Uh..." Rubbing a hand over my jaw, I debate on whether or not to confide in him. Nobody knows about the blackmail because we don't want to risk anyone accidentally revealing it to the wrong person, which could eventually lead back to Katie or the media. Ethan is my best friend, though. If I can trust anyone, it's him.

"Katie is back," I admit, "and she's holding blackmail over us. When Maddie visited me at Penn State, she—"

"I'm aware of the situation," he replies, catching me off guard. "Did you think Maya wouldn't tell me? When Maddie was here visiting Elias she told her. Thus the reason I'm calling you."

Ah.

Well, that makes more sense. Leave it to girl talk to find its way back to him. With Maddie and Maya, it never fails.

"So you get it, then."

"Your decision to go to this gala despite my sister's wishes? Completely. You have to go, Cameron. I know it'll piss her off to no end, but you can't let that bitch release the video she has of Maddie. She dabbled in drugs one time to see what it was like to party. We both know that's not who Maddie really is. Letting her throw away her dream all because of a video is..."

"Horrible. I know. Your sister is stubborn as hell, though. I tried to explain that it would be the best decision to suck it up and be Katie's date while we try and find more dirt on her in the meantime, but she didn't want to hear it."

"I don't care. Sometimes, she doesn't know what's best for her. We do."

I shift uncomfortably in the driver's seat. "Maddie is a strong, independent woman capable of making her own decisions. However, I feel like she's basing her decision on me instead of her. She doesn't want my career to go down the drain when the gossip columns inevitably explode at the sight of us together. They'll jump to conclusions about an affair, and the internet will run wild. She doesn't want that for me."

"Then make her want it for you, Cameron. Persuade her. I'm not going to let her throw away everything she's ever worked for because of one of the women you slept with. You shouldn't allow that either."

My jaw clenches at the abrasive note to his voice. He doesn't understand that it's more complicated than that. I don't allow Maddie to do anything, nor will I ever. Our marriage is a partnership, and her opinion is valued just as much as mine is. I understand Ethan is playing the protective big brother role, but Maddie and I need to work through this together by ourselves.

"You care about her. We both do. And while my opinion on the subject is the same as yours, I'm going to need her approval before I tell Katie yes to being her date. Your sister is my wife, which makes me her husband, and we aren't teenagers anymore. We're adults who will make grown decisions together."

Ethan narrows his eyes which are sporting bags underneath them from the lack of sleep. "I hate this."

"Hate what?"

"The new mature version of you. Sometimes, I wish you were still naive and made reckless decisions. If you were, you would have already agreed to attend the gala with Katie." After a deep sigh, he continues. "But you're right. I need to step back. I guess I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one who thinks Maddie throwing her career away because of a fucking video is foolish as hell."

A grin tugs on my mouth. "Glad we're on the same page. I'll keep you updated, alright? I'm about to head back to the house, which I can't wait to show you by the way."

"Can't wait to see it." He glances down at Elias in his arms. "Maybe one of these days we'll visit. Won't be anytime soon, though."

Despite the pang in my chest, I find the space in my heart to feel happiness for him because he deserves it. "You've got your hands full," I agree. "I'll call you later this week?"

He nods. "Good luck with convincing her, man."

When the conversation ends and I put my car in drive, I inwardly groan at the debate tonight will bring. With my wife being as stubborn as she is?

It's not going to be a fun one.