20- An Intrusion

A few days passed by. Arjun was giving most of his time to Arnika as she was healing from the injuries of the accident. Her ankle was nearly alright while her cast was all set to be removed within a week.

It was Monday and Arni was being stubborn about going to school. Arjun was against it and so the morning drama.

Arni- "I am fine,papa. I can walk now. Please jaane do na! I am getting bored now!"

Arjun- "Chup bilkul! You can't walk two steps without wincing and you are telling me that you are fine."

Arni pouted- "Phir aap bhi mat jao! I'll miss you."

Arjun carefully pulled her on his lap and kissed her cheek.

Arjun- "Papa ko kaam karna hai na,baccha? Abhi tak toh aapke saath hi tha na? Promise ki mai shaam me jaldi waapis aaunga."

Arni leaned closer to him- "Mat jao na,papa. Mujhe dar lag raha hai."

She didn't know why but she had been feeling restless since morning. As if something bad was bound to happen today. Something that would completely transform their lives forever.

Arjun- "Kyun beta? Neelu di toh din bhar tere saath hi rahegi na? Darr kaisa."

A few tears escaped her eyes- "I dunno papa! But please nahi jao na."

Arjun frowned as he noticed that she was getting hysterical. He rubbed her back.

Arjun- "Ok stop crying. Nahi jaa raha mai kahi. Aao room me chale."

He carried her to the room while she was crying all along. She was nowhere close to letting him go. Her intuitions were screaming the onset of a misfortune.

He tried to put her down on the bed but she wasn't ready to let him go. He sighed and sat down on the bed himself. Arni sniffed and tried to snuggle closer but winced as it increased the pressure on her fractured arm.

Arjun sternly- "Seedha baith,Arni! And stop crying."

Arni sat up straighter but the tears didn't stop. Arjun checked her forehead. It was slightly warm. Tanvi had warned him about the possibilities of a fever due to the effect of medicines.

Arjun wiped her tears and sat her down on the bed. She protested but one stern look from him shut her up. He saw the scared look on her face and sighed. He gently kissed her forehead.

He called for Neelu and asked her to fetch cold towels for Arni's fever. Meanwhile, he sorted through the medicine box for a fever reducer. He kept it on the side table.

He took the bowl of water and towels from Neelu and started his work.

Neelu- "Sir, aap Aaj office nahi jayenge?"

Arjun without looking at her- "Arni is not well."

Neelu- "Mai hu,sir. I'll take care of her."

Arjun looked at her with a frown.

Neelu- "Mera matlab hai ki pehle bhi humesha Mai hi Arni baby ka khayal rakhti thi toh isiliye Maine socha ki..."

Arjun- "Zyada sochne ki zarurat nahi hai,Neelu. I am here and I can manage her."

Arjun didn't care if that came out as rude. His absence from her life for 6 years would be the greatest regret of his life.

Neelu nodded and left.

Arjun looked at Arni who still looked restless.

Arjun- "Look at yourself. Tu mujhse school jaane ke liye lad Rahi thi!"

Arni ignored the taunt and just repeated- "Mujhe Darr lag raha hai,baba. I am scared."

Arjun- "Kyun Darr lag raha hai,baccha? Baba hai na?"