Chapter 1

SI Karishma Singh hated feeling helpless and she couldn't remember feeling more helpless than she was at that moment, as she watched the tall figure of her Anu Bhaiya walking away down the corridor of the police headquarters.

Karishma collapsed on the bench behind, head in her hands, torn between wanting to punch something or someone and wanting to burn down everything that had dared to hurt her Madam Sir. But she couldn't do anything about this unforeseen turn of events.

'Ekdum bekaar insaan ho tum Karishma Singh,' she muttered to herself. 'Bilkul loser. Ama jiske mathe par ek shikanj nahi bardasht hain tumhe, aaj unko itna bade beijjati se nahi bacha pa rahi ho tum. Koi kaam ki hi nahi ho tum Karishma Singh, koi kaam ki nahi'

She kept sitting there for a while, lost in thoughts, cursing herself. She was oblivious to the officers and staff passing her by and giving her strange looks. They had never seen her in a saree, so well decked up before. Actually they had never even imagined Kadak Karishma in anything other than her uniform and aviators. But today Karishma had decked up, to be part of her Madam Sir's special day. Truthfully she wasn't the happiest person seeing her senior get engaged to her brother, but there wasn't anything she wouldn't do for her Madam Sir.

Karishma came out of her trance. DSP Anubhav Singh had very conveniently left Karishma to do the dirty work. Did he know how much it would kill Karishma to snatch away the smile from her Madam Sir's face? Probably not. But she would have to do it anyway. She couldn't put it off any longer. She sighed deeply and got to her feet, then dragged her steps to the banquet hall where her cousin, Anubhav Singh, was supposed to get engaged to her boss and best friend, Haseena Malik.

The engagement which would no longer take place because Anubhav had just left for good.
...

SHO Haseena Mallik was in a completely different avatar on this night. And with good reason. After years of waiting, she had finally found her perfect partner and tonight she was getting engaged. Happiness bubbled out of her laugh, her wide smile reaching her eyes, her beauty enhanced ten fold with the joy of fulfilled love. Her juniors Santosh Sharma and Cheetah Chaturvedi had pulled her on the stage to join their dance and after some initial hesitation, Haseena had participated wholeheartedly. Now she came down breathing heavily but still smiling, and hugged her mother tighly. Noor Mallik's eyes shone with relief tonight. For the longest time the lady had been afraid that her picky daughter would never find a match for herself. But Anubhav Singh had checked all the boxes on Haseena's required-qualities list - Genuine, Compassionate, Patriot, got along with children, thought of women as equal to men and would not have a problem understanding the extreme situations of Haseena's profession since he belonged to the same field.
But for Noor Mallik, her biggest relief came in the fact that he was Karishma Singh's brother. So she could trust him and his family blindly. She felt so thankful to God tonight.

But the perfect groom was running late for his own engagement. Very very late. Haseena had been getting slightly agitated for a while now. So Karishma had volunteered to go and make sure Anubhav and his family arrive as soon as possible. And Santosh had pulled Haseena away to distract her with music and dance. But now the worry returned. What was causing Anubhav to be so late?

As if sensing someone's presence at the entrance, both mother and daughter looked up together. But there stood Karishma Singh, alone. Haseena felt an odd vibe coming off her junior cum best friend. Karishma seemed to be internally struggling with something that was only visible to Haseena. For everyone else she was the same grumpy Karishma.

'Arrey Karishma toh aa gayi, par Anubhav kanha hain?' Noor Mallik exclaimed anxiously.

Haseena found herself walking quickly to meet Karishma before her whole team can launch an interrogation on the poor girl. Questions were written large on Haseena's face. She didn't need to ask them aloud. Karishma could clearly read them. She took a deep shaky breath and began telling her.....