Chapter 2

Someone was going to die a painful death in the hands of SI Karishma Singh. It could be anyone at this point. PJ, SS, CC and Billoo were on high alert these last couple of days as the universe was seemingly conspiring against them. It had been two days since Madam Sir's broken engagement. In a bid to do something for their leader who had remained composed and calm and chosen to steadfastly go on, the MPT team had initially decided to make their beloved Madam Sir feel as normal as possible by avoiding any and all mention of weddings, engagements and relationships.

Almost as soon as they had collectively decided on this, SHO Haseena Mallik's jeep had arrived at the Thana. Almost as soon as SHO Haseena Mallik got down and greeted them, the entire place had become filled with the sounds of dhol and dancing. A baraat had appeared out of nowhere and proceeded to the little temple outside of the Thana to seek blessings.

Pushpa Ji had looked fearfully at her Gadadhari Bheem, fully prepared to try and stop Karishma from bashing up the groom's party for daring to be happy when her Madam Sir wasn't. But to her surprise Karishma wasn't even looking at the crowd. Her eyes were fixed on Haseena's face. Haseena on the other hand, swallowed and quietly watched the baraat take the Goddess's blessings and move away, all the while dancing and merry making.

Their relief was short lived. The new case that came in that day was about a runaway groom who had absconded from his engagement leaving his fiancée stranded at the mandap. With Haseena taking up the case personally there was no way they would be able to protect their Madam Sir from potential triggers. For once Pushpa Ji was disappointed in her Shivji. Couldn't this case come some days later? Kya musibat hain yaar - was the collective mood of the MPT team.

And Karishma Singh was most likely going to murder someone with the sheer frustration at not being able to do anything for her Madam Sir.

Haseena Mallik had been observing her team's antics since the last two days. They weren't the greatest actors, so their efforts to make her feel happy was pretty obvious. They cracked the worst jokes on earth to try and make her smile. They tried strange things to make her feel loved and cherished. And they tried their hardest to keep her away from the new case of the runaway groom. Failing spectacularly in all their plans but not for lack of trying.

As much as Haseena was grateful for having such a loving team who cared so much for her, it was getting a little irritating and suffocating for her. She decided to put an end to their shenanigans.

'Hum jante hain ki aap sab pichhle do din se kya karne ki koshish kar rahe hain. Aap sab chahte hain ki hum humari takleef se dur ho jaye, iss haadse ko bhool jaye. Hum aap sab ke care ko appreciate karte hain lekin, please aap sab se request hain humara ki aap yeh sab band kar dijiye. Yakeen maniye hum theek hain'

(She cleared her throat to hide the slight tremor in her voice. Nobody noticed it, except for Karishma Singh)

Haseena continued, showing her immense inner strength. 'Shayad Uparwale ka yehi plan hain humare liye, shayad woh humein iss jazbaati ghulami se azaad karna chahta tha taaki hum sahi aur ghalat ke beech ka fark jaan sake...

'Uske banaye huye plan par aage bar sake.'
As she said this, Haseena looked at the sky and then at Karishma for some reason even she didn't know.

'Aaj agar hum iss dard se bhaage, toh bhaagte hi reh jayenge aur yeh dard humari unchaahi kamzori ban jayegi. Iss liye hum iss case ko khud handle kar rahe hain taaki hum apne dard ka saamna kar sake aur usse jeet sake. Kya aap sab iss challenge mein humara saath denge?'

After a prolonged silence, Santu surprised everyone by moving forward, dismissing protocols and tightly hugging her Madam Sir.

'Anything for my elder sister,' she whispered in Haseena's ears.