○ Chapter 05 ○

The next day I went to my office with a happy smile on my face. After Wesley's words of assurance that I won't be fired, I could go on about my day like usual.

The moment I entered my office, I saw Jessica already seated in her chair, typing away at her computer.

"Hey, Jess!" I waved as I walked over to her.

She looked up from her computer to me and beamed instantly. "Kris!"

Leaning against her desk, I could see that she was not fully recovered with the way she was sniffling every few seconds and how her nose was still red. "You don't look so well," I told her.

"Gee, thanks, I know. But I couldn't skip today. I had to discuss a few things with Ms. Bones today, remember? I am also supposed to be in a meeting with two bank-"

"Anddddd, take a deep breath, Jess. Take a deep breath," I rubbed her back soothingly.

She did as I told her. "Thanks, Kris. It's just so hard with this stuffy nose."

"I get it." I chuckled. Just as I was about to go sit on my chair, she stopped me.

"Hey, wait."

"Yeah?"

"I heard something fun and juicy happened yesterday during lunch? Please tell me that it's not true because one day! One day when I don't come and boom! Something fun happens. It's like that famous meme! My life is so boring that even when something cool happens around me, I am not supposed to be there. I mean, I don't believe a word that comes out of-"

"Jess." I laughed, interrupting her. "Breathe first, breathe." One thing about Jessica was that every time she was overwhelmed with something, she tended to go on a rant in almost a single breath.

Jessica huffed but relented. "So, tell me. Is it true? Did something happen yesterday?"

I shrugged, trying to avoid her eye contact but it was Jessica. One glare from her and I was spilling everything to her.

"Wait, wait. So you're telling me that he asked the Browns about where you work. And he came here and whoop whoop! He's related to our boss, Ms. Bones. And then everything you said before and after that, too. But I can't believe that you threw a shoe at him!" With that, she went into a fit of giggles.

I joined her and soon we were a giggling mess.

However, our moment of joy was cut off when a sharp voice spoke behind us. Jessica and I turned around to see that it was Caitlyn Paine, our manager.

"Sure, girls, go ahead. We can get back to work once your laughing session is over." She glanced at her wristwatch before giving us both a sarcastic smile.

Both of us mumbled a quiet apology and she left us standing there awkwardly.

I was about to sit down in my seat when Jessica whispered quietly. "Tell me everything at lunch."

"What more do you want me to tell you?" I whispered back even though Mrs. Paine was not in our vicinity anymore.

"Just that how he thinks you're his "Cinderella"!" She bobbed her head from side to side cutely, teasing me.

I could feel my cheeks heating up when I remembered our conversation from yesterday.

"Don't tell me that you believe in this stupidity, too, Jess," I looked up to see Ryan walking past us with an angry speed. He didn't even give us a second glance but from his side face, I could see him clenching his jaw.

"How long do you think he was listening to our conversation?" I asked, pointing to where he disappeared off into his office.

"Long enough to know the context. But then again, he'll want to listen to the whole thing when it comes to you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I was flabbergasted because no one knew about my crush on Ryan. Not even Jessica. Was she talking about my crush on him? Was I not so subtle, after all?

She looked like a deer caught in a headlight. "Nothing!" And with that, she went back to doing her work.

My day after that passed pretty quickly and before I knew it, it was 6 O' clock. Packing my stuff, I sent a quick message to Jessica that I was leaving, because she was still in her meeting.

As I was leaving the office, Ryan sprinted to come and stand in front of me. "Hey," I mumbled with a smile.

"Hi." He smiled back, scratching his eyebrow nervously.

Ryan always stayed till late to oversee everything before he left. I couldn't understand why he was so immersively professional but I assumed that he loved his work so much.

"So, um, are you free this weekend?"

That little part of me with a crush on him was gleefully jumping in excitement. "I guess. Why?" I asked him, maintaining my nonchalance.

"I was wondering if we could hangout together. You, me and Jess," he said, his hopeful eyes looking into mine.

And just like that, all my excitement went down the drain. It was as if with that single statement, he popped out my balloon. I didn't mind Jessica hanging out with us but all my hopes were crushed because I assumed he was asking me out on a date. And why did I think that again? "Oh."

Ryan's face fell at my reply so he repeated, "Oh?"

"I mean, yeah. Yeah, I'll see if I am free. Bye, Ryan!" I said quickly as I rushed out of the office. I heard his faint "bye" behind me but I was too annoyed to pass him a polite smile.

Most of all, I wasn't mad at him. I was mad at myself because I was confused. Did I still have a crush on Ryan, even after feeling all those flutters when talking to Wesley? I felt like a cheater and all these overflowing emotions made me want to cry.

Which is why, the moment I reached my apartment, I decided to drown my emotions with wine. It wasn't a solution but still enough to delay my self pity.

The moment I had downed my second glass, I was feeling lightheaded and tipsy. And everything started falling down on me. I missed my mom, dad and my brother, Austin. Living away from home was so hard and I made a drunk, mental note to call them this weekend.

To top it off, my mixed feelings were messing with my thoughts.

I could feel my eyes burning with unshed tears as I poured myself another glass.

Alcohol mixed with overflowing emotions? A very bad combination. I switched on my TV but I wasn't really paying much attention to it. My drunk haze was broken for a moment when my phone pinged with a message.

I picked up my cell phone with shaky fingers to see that it was a message from yet another unknown number. I laughed out loud when I read what it said.

Unknown Number: You'd do better than to ignore my warning. Stay. Away. From. Him!