Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Ch 6: Monsters

Cassandra

Every cell in my body screams to give in. To lean into Luce's touch and accept everything he offers, but I hold back. My trust is not so easily gained. That doesn't mean I'm not tempted. Oh, so tempted. My fingers itch to reach out to touch him, to see if his chest is as solid as it looks. His hair as soft as it seems.

"H...How would you skim off me?" I hold back a whimper as he gently caresses the bare skin of my lower back. It's almost frightening how strong my reactions to him are, and I close my eyes as if it can somehow shield me from the intensity.

"Like this is easiest." He continues caressing my back, sending waves of heat pulsing through my body, settling low in my abdomen. "Skin to skin. Especially if you are...enjoying it."

I don't need to see his face to know that wicked smirk is on his lips.

"Can you tell which emotion a human is feeling when you skim?"

"No," he drawls and when his hand dips lower to trace the outline of my arse through the thin fabric of the dress, I bite my lip to hold in a moan. "But context might offer some hints."

My cheeks burn and my eyes flutter open. We're so close I can see the dark stubble on his chin. I should move away, but my feet refuse to obey. There's a raw hunger in his eyes that matches my own, but I can't act on it. This man is danger. Maybe not in the sense that he would kill me like the Hellbound wants to, but I fear I won't escape our encounters intact.

He lifts his hand to trace the pad of his thumb along my lower lip, his dark gaze fastened on my mouth. When he wets his lips, my body shudders in a visceral reaction and I have to resist leaning closer. Resist begging for a kiss.

"Intimate touch works best," he says huskily. "But we can take it slow. Start with simple touches like this."

"Is that why you've been frequenting dating apps? To find women to skim off of?" I can't tell if I'm jealous or disgusted. Maybe a little of both.

The question surprises him, and he straightens, his hands dropping from my bare skin. I'm shocked by the instant feeling of loss. A line appears between his brows as he nods.

"Can they tell?" I ask. "When you skim?"

"No. Humans are none the wiser. We only take a small amount. If someone were to take a little too much, the human only feels more tired than usual. They are not harmed."

His wording doesn't escape me. I take a step away from him and cross my arms over my chest, remembering the women who have gone missing after dating him. "And what if a Forsaken was to take a lot too much?"

Our spell is broken—for now—and I stay far enough away that he won't touch me again. He's watching me silently, probably trying to decide whether or not to respond truthfully.

"None of my people would ever do that," he finally says slowly.

"But what would happen if anyone did?" I push. "Whether it's one of your Forsaken or the Hellbound."

A muscle ticks in his jaw and I worry he won't respond. "If someone skims too much, the human will grow tired. Weak. Usually, they will recover after some rest, but if they were to be too drained, they risk turning into a husk. A shell of their former self."

Unease sends an icy shiver down my spine. "Can they die?"

"Not from skimming this way." He sighs and rakes a hand through his hair. When he meets my gaze again, he seems sincere. "Cass, I would never risk your safety. I know my limits when skimming and take great precautions to ensure I don't take too much."