Chapter 41

CALLUM

"I can't believe Coach let you take that", Henry says, pointing with his fry at the trophy in the middle of the pick-up bed. Honestly, I am as surprised. I usually get the trophies at the end of the year.

"He must have been high from your win against Berkley", Trevor suggests. "Beautifully done, if I may say so."

My mouth involuntarily twitches at that. It was a good win. Better than we ever did. And it was all topped with the celebratory kiss and hug Katie gave me as soon as the game was over. And then the recreation of that hoodie scene we had a few weeks ago. In the locker room.

Fucking hot

The mouth twitch turns into a full-time smirk, and I brush a kiss on my girlfriend's temple, who leans deeper into me.

"You can always say so", Henry answers, his mouth also twitched. I still don't know with whom, but he also got a celebratory hookup after the game. His whole face screams "after-sex". Especially those little marks on his neck.

"I told you complimenting him was a bad idea", Avery parts ways from her lollipop to tell Trevor. Yes, the seven of us found our way back to the bed of the pickup truck and McDonald's parking lot. A bunch of Happy Meals, milkshakes, Cokes, the night sky, a hockey trophy and many jokes our only company.

"At least he does it", Henry counters. "Trev, don't mind her", he continues. "I love you complimenting me."

"It helps with his complex", I suggest.

Henry flips me off as the others break in laughter.

"At least I have one", Henry mutters offended, dipping his French fry in his chocolate milkshake.

"And you said I had concerning taste", I can hear Katie whisper in my ear.

I look down, to meet her eyes. They were already looking at me. Gorgeous. Her eyes are gorgeous. I sometimes wish I could sink in them, be filled by her, by her every breath, her every smile, her every whisper and thought.

"I never said your taste was concerning", I whisper back at her. "I just said it's biased."

"There is nothing wrong with pink", she still keeps her ground.

"Not when you're the one wearing it."

A smile blooms on her face, as she kisses me once. "You'd look good in pink too", she teases, her lips not leaving mine.

"Still a no", I reply, faking being exhausted, when I'm in fact amused.

"But that glitter looked so good on you", she continues.

"Did not."

"It sure did. You looked like a fairy."

Does anyone else see a problem in that sentence? Because I for sure do.

"You're the fairy from the two of us", I counter. "And I don't just mean the pink. But the magical part."

"I knew it. I keep saying you're a romantic."

"And I keep saying that's only for you", I answer, proving it with a kiss.

"Great, here comes the Hallmark movie again", Avery's voice interrupts us. "Just to be clear? Is this a grumpy meets sunshine? A friends to lovers? So I know how to sort it."

"It's a You Better Shut Up one", I hiss.

Only Avery doesn't flinch, only smirks. "Hallmark movie meets thriller. I can work with that."

"So can I", Katie whispers, her eyes not having left me this entire time.

"See, that's cute", Mae answers. "Henry, why don't you do something about it?"

"About their relationship?", Henry raises an eyebrow. "As much as I enjoy a good threesome, I'm already mentally married to the guy. I can't fuck him when she's looking."

"For heaven's sake, Torres", Trevor puts nicely what I would have phrased completely differently.

"He really needs a girl", Mae agrees.

"What I need is ice cream", Henry jumps back from the conversation and the couple that seemed more than happy to play matchmaker for him. "Anybody with me?"

"I'll come", Olivia says. I notice it's the first thing she has said today. She also kept checking her phone. I didn't want to get my nose in someone else's business, so I didn't ask. But I noticed Katie and Avery also giving her worried glances.

"Me too", Avery adds. I have a feeling it's not the ice cream she's coming for, but rather Olivia.

"We'll stay here", Mae answers for Trevor and her.

Katie gives me a questioning look, as I nod. Whatever works best for her. "Well stay here too", she answers.

"Sure, join the love club", Avery mutters.

"Just don't have sex in the back of the car", Henry backs her up. "I'm pretty sure that's illegal."

"Fuck you, Henry", I find myself shouting.

My best friend smirks as he looks at Trevor. "See, that's exactly what I've been talking about. He can't even stay away from me."

"I despise you", I hiss. We both now that's not true.

He can be...something special, but I still trust him with my life.

"I'm getting you ice cream to get back into your graces", he replies, making a short curtsy. "Vanilla one for you, Katie?", he continues.

"You know it", she answers, drawing a heart with her finger in the air for him.

Henry winks at us before he walks with Katie's best friends to grab some ice cream.

I see Avery and Henry bickering on the way, Liv doing her best to make them be at peace, yet also giving up after a few minutes.

"Think they'll ever get along?", Katie asks me, looking at them.

"They'll learn to, eventually", I say. It's then my eyes wonder back on her, and a smile blooms.

"What?", she asks me amused, catching my glance.

"I just love you, Katie Blake."

And then she kissed me.

We might have started with a kiss cam kiss, but I swear, that girl is gonna get my every kiss.

And that's a promise.