𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙇𝙑𝙀

PAIGE BUECKERS

My leg bounced anxiously awaiting for the other half of the table arrival. I turned facing Nika who sat in front of me, she looked so happy with her birthday girl sash and taking photos with her huddle of presents. She leaned over towards me grabbing my hand as she did so.

"Don't worry, your girl will be here soon." She slyly winked blowing a small kiss as she attempted to ease the nerves that started prickling my skin in a sudden chill. I nodded in response the bare thought of forming words was an inability under the stress.

I hadn't talked to Kaia in a few weeks maybe almost a month or so. I doubt tonight will make it any different but the small glint of hope that maybe just maybe we would share a few words grew within the minutes that past.

I had specifically put on the shirt she complimented me many times in. A sleeveless white crop top with the black cargos she accompanied me to buy. Everything down to the way my hair was parted was for her.

"There's my birthday girl." Sierra walks in, handing Nika her present. Nika was quick to grapple onto Sierra's waist pressing a delicate kiss onto her cheek as she leant down to reciprocate.

"Where's Kaia at?" Everyone's heads craned over trying to spot the brunette through the crowd of people towards the entrance. And as if on cue she walks in arms linked with Leah and Emma. The moment I saw her I felt my heart swell in my chest.

Beautiful wasn't enough to capture Kaia. She was in a whole different category herself. The mere sight of her was a certain high that I swear I will never experience with any drug. She was truely addicting. That certain feeling you get when driving down a hill, or getting to the dip in a roller coaster is what it felt like to be met with her. She was as an effortless perfection. The way her hair was crimped into waves, the bronzed glow of her skin under the dimmed lighting of the restaurant, how defined her waist sat hugged between her lace skirt, the smooth curves in her hips as she walked with certainty and confidence only she could betroth.

Kaia Jacobs is the embodiment of beauty. How her lips were a certain shade of pink and red yet wore no product. The way her eyes naturally upturned with sharpness.

"Careful or else you'll dislocate your jaw." Ice nudged me, laughing as she watched my eyes following her every move.

"Happy birthday baby." Kaia bent over grasping Nika into a tight hug, pressing her lips into a short kiss onto the top of her head.

How badly I wanted to be Nika in this moment.

"Here I saved you a spot over there." Nika pointed to the free space beside me. I could see the contortion in Kaia's face as she nodded. Not making a fuss as she slid into the spot next to me. Without a word or glance she just sat there, conversing with everyone around except me.

"Let's get fucked up tonight." Nika announces with hands clapped as everyone cheers with glasses raised.

Why can't she just look at me? Just once?

_______________________________

After dining out we moved to the clubs. Working our way through many, many rounds of drinks. The slight buzz in my throat was starting to settle in as I downed my 4th shot of the night. The bitter taste no longer phasing me as it became a natural flavour to my taste buds.

All of us sat in a circle around the lounge. Laughing and sharing stories of our beloved Nika who at this point was too far gone intoxicated.

"Let's dance." The birthday girl grabbed onto Aaliyah's hand as a small train of girls followed close pursuit to the dance floor. I sat back watching the large group of girls move their bodies trying to catch the rhythm of the beat.