Chapter Twenty: Pink Carnation

Staring down at my mug filled with coffee, I released a heavy sigh as I bit my lip, trying to get my head cleared out. Never would I have thought that this situation will turn out like this. I thought everything would have stopped with Gray.

But nope, there comes Evan.

There are far worse things that could happen, but I'm pretty sure I would like all those to stop now. I've reached my maximum quota.

Like, seriously, if another surprise appears, I'm going to punch it back into its hell hole.

"Can't sleep?" a voice behind me asked. Not even turning around, I hummed in confirmation as I took a sip of my hot drink.

Evan breezed past me and went to the coffee machine, pouring himself his own mug with the pot that I made. Looking up at the clock perched at the wall, he clicked his tongue at the time being shown. Waking up at four in the morning right before you have to go to a five hour drive isn't really a good thing.

He leaned over the kitchen island, facing me as this piece of furniture separated us. He stared at me, drinking his caffeine filled beverage before he spoke, "What is it this time?"

"What?" I questioned.

"Your dad? Your cousin? Family? Gray? Erin?" he listed off all of the possible reasons for this problematic expression, "Or is it me?"

Is there an 'all of the above' option?

When I didn't he answered, he exhaled loudly, "I'm not apologizing you know, but I will empathize you for everything else."

"How?" I suddenly asked out of the blue, keeping my voice hushed so I wouldn't wake up my dad, "How can you figure me out? Even Gray, who has been with me for two years, can't figure me out of just single glance."

He blinked at my sudden inquiry but his composure didn't shake. He just kept on drinking from his mug as he made me wait in agony for his answer.

"You're an open book, Clara," he stated smoothly, "All anyone really has to do is look."

I paused at his reply and he nodded at me before placing his mug into the sink, walking around the counter and towards the staircase, "Get some sleep, we still have to go home in a few hours."

How long has he been looking at me? When did the turn of events happen?

That single statement also was a slap of reality of the fact that even though I had Gray, he wasn't really looking at me. I may be under his arm, he may have his hands on me, but for all I know, his mind could have been somewhere far away.

Evan is not supposed to fall for the blonde cheerleader, just as Erin is not supposed to fall for the bad boy. Those siblings are just breaking every rule in the book.

Deciding to ditch my half-empty mug of coffee, I decided to go back up and sleep until my alarm rings at the original time that I wanted to wake up.

That morning, we packed up all our bags and placed our rooms back into their sheet-covered state. Dad prepared breakfast for us and soon enough, it was time for us to drive back home.

"Thank you for the hospitality, sir," Evan said as I leaned against my car, waiting for him.

"Come back anytime," dad grinned, patting his back, "The whole family liked you."

Just saying dad, you're not making things any easier.

Evan smile brightly and nodded, saying one more goodbye before rounding the car and getting into the passenger side. Pushing myself off, I wrapped my arms around my dad as he embraced me, "See you soon, Clara."