"Forgiven, I Guess" (Final)

I open my eyes, and I immediately close them again. Ack, it's way too bright outside. Wait, outside? Where even am I? I start to panic, I was even flailing my arms a little!

"Whoa, Rogue, calm down, will you?" I look up to see Sting laughing at my sudden reaction.

Oh.

He's carrying me, literally like those brides in cheesy stories and fairy tales I read when I was way younger.

I'm not quite sure if I'm enjoying this or not.

This is kind of embarrassing.

Anyways! We're not in that cave anymore?

"Where are we?" I look around, we aren't near the cave. Actually, we aren't even near that small village neither.

"We're going home!" I blush as he gives me his usual bright smile. I melt at that every time.

"Wai– what about the shadow? Is it still there? Where is it?" I ramble. I was slightly panicky, thinking that the shadow either is still in that village, or fled to another area, or worse: it already possessed me without either Sting or me noticing.

"It's gone, Rogue."

"Huh?" That still could mean any of those three options.

"It's gone. We will not have to deal with it anymore. We're done," Sting reassures me.

"What happened?"

"I saw the job request on the floor when I came back. You probably dropped it."

Wow, me.

"I knew it had to be you who wanted to accept. Heh, you were probably in such a hurry, you dropped the paper!"

"I–I guess," I cross my arms, slightly embarrassed.

"We'll take a break by that tree over there. Or, more like, I need to take a break. You're heavy!" Sting laughs, and I playfully smack his face.

He sets me down under the nice patch of shade a large tree was giving us. Sting sits right next to me, and my right shoulder touched his left. I don't know why I even blushed at the contact, but I just did.

I didn't really want to start the conversation first, so I just decided to wait until he says something. I try to distract myself by staring at the fluffy clouds that moved slowly along with the wind.

"Rogue, why did you go without me?"

"Pfft, I know that there's no such thing as dumb questions, but this is pretty damn close," I scoff, it sounded a bit colder than I intended.

"Rogue–"

"I'm sure it was obvious, Sting," I unintentionally raise my usually low voice. "I didn't want to deal with you, that's why!"

"Rogue."

"This stupid prank you thought was meant to be fun was the reason why we were drifting apart! We didn't talk, and then I honestly thought that we were supposed to hate each other, or something. I'm sorry, but I felt like I had to go by myself. I–"