Chapter 27.

"Shit," Ryder cursed under his breath.

'Shit' is right.

We sprung apart from each other and I smiled innocently at my brother while Ryder rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Sup' Dylan," he said.

"Don't 'sup Dylan' me," my brother responded.

He walked over to us and tried to act more intimidating by standing up to his full hight.

"Does anyone care to explain as to why I found out that my sister was getting close to Ryder by a freshman?" he asked us.

"Look, Dylan--" Ryder started but Dylan cut him off.

"No! You look!" Dylan grabbed Ryder by his shirts and pushed him against the bus. He got up in Ryder's face, looking furious.

I nervously ran a hand through my air.

You might be wondering, 'hey why don't you go over there and pull them apart?' Well I've learned that when my brother gets serious about something, it's best not to get in the way. I learned that the hard way. I had a black eye for a week. Of course Dylan was sorry and apologised non-stop. But still, I don't plan on that happening again any time soon.

"That is my little sister. And now I'm hearing that you two are together? Bullshit! I know what you do. You can't be in relationships!" my brother yelled at Ryder.

Ryder just stayed quiet and took it all in. I think he also knew it was best not to talk back to Dylan right now.

"I don't care if you're friend, but I will not let some egoistical douchebag break her heart! Because I know that's what you can be!"

Okay, remember what I said about not getting involved? Screw that. I really needed to help.

I ran up to where they were having a more or less one sided argument.

"That's enough!" I shouted and pulled Dylan off of Ryder.

He spun around and looked at me with a mad face. "What do think you're doing? Getting involved with this guy? And besides, he's my friend."

I scoffed. "Okay, first of all, I knew him first. Before you. Longer. Second, I know what I'm doing. Ryder isn't like that. Or at least not anymore. What you heard were stories of the past. And I don't know if you've noticed but right now we're in the present."

Dylan seemed to calm down just a little bit, but he still glared at Ryder.

"She's right," Ryder agreed. "I would never intentionally hurt Kennedy. She's much too important for me to do that."

Dylan narrowed his eyes even more. "If I ever hear or even feel like you hurt her, I will skin you alive and then slowly kill you. I will not hesitate to end your life if that ever happens."

"Okaaaaay.... thank you for those wonderful images," I said and stepped between the two guys. "Look, I think we can all come to an understanding. He won't hurt me," I nodded my head at Ryder. "And you won't kill anyone," I nodded at Dylan.

Both agreed.

"So you're fine with us being together?" Ryder asked.

Dylan's face softened. "I guess. But if I ever see you making out or kissing or any of that, I will knock you out."

"Fair enough."

I let out a huge sigh of relief and I'm pretty sure you could visibly see me relaxing.

"Come on. Let's go home," Dylan said.

I nodded and turned to say bye to Ryder. I was about to kiss him but remembered that Dylan was still standing there.