Charming Criminal [7]

"Are you sure you'll be okay?"

You groaned under your breath, giving Light a gentle nudge on the arm. "I'm fine. Now get out of my house already!"

Light planted his feet firmly, fixing you with a dour gaze. "I'm being serious, [Y/N]. People don't just get over traumatic experiences in the space of an hour. You might need to talk to someone."

You sighed, pulling your gaze from his and tottering toward the kitchen. "I'm... fine," you repeated, shaking your head to scatter the images still lingering on your mind. Blood, metal, greasy hair... Slumping into one of the chairs, you rested your elbows on the surface of the counter and buried your head in your hands. "Okay, I'm just a bit... confused. It doesn't really feel as though any of that just happened."

Light hummed softly, scraping back one of the stools and sitting next to you. "It might take a while for it to sink in, but that's okay." He sounded as though he genuinely cared, and you looked at him suspiciously.

"I suppose I ought to just be glad nobody got hurt... well, apart from the hijacker, but I suppose he had it coming to him," you added in an undertone, before quickly covering your mouth with your hand. Ryuk snickered between mouthfuls of the apple you'd found for him. "Oh, I shouldn't say things like that, should I?"

Light's eyes flashed under the naked kitchen bulb, but he didn't criticise your comment. "Uhm, I can leave if you-"

"Actually," you cut him off, scratching your neck sheepishly. "Could you maybe... stay - just until my mum gets back." You bit your lip, averting your gaze to Ryuk floating lazily over the counter, his head resting in his hands.

Light grinned goofily. "Of course. Though I'm surprised you can still bear my presence after everything I put you through."

You gave him a weary glance. "What happened wasn't your fault, Light."

Light gave you a partial smile. "Still, I'm sorry," he said simply, and you got the impression he was holding something back.

"So am I. It ruined the date I was so looking forward to," you said, voice laced with sarcasm.

Light tapped his fingers against the underside of the worktop, peering at you from under long lashes. "We can always make amends, say... next Saturday?"

You snorted a weak laugh. "In your dreams, Light."

"So you were glad that hijacker ruined our date?"

You fixed him with a dour look. "I didn't say that. Look, can we maybe..."

"Move on?" Light finished, answering his own question with the slant of his head. "Of course, sorry." His stomach suddenly gave a low gurgle, and you cocked a brow.

"Hungry?"

Light grimaced. "Our lunch plans were kinda ruined, so-"

You shrugged offhandedly. "I guess you're right. Let me check the cupboards." You slipped off the stool and shuffled over to the kitchen units. "Hm, my mum's out grocery shopping at the moment so it doesn't look like we have much in."

Light scraped back his chair, stretching his arms behind his head. "That's okay. We can take our date somewhere else. I know a good place in town," he said with an unassuming smile.

You faced him with a pursed expression. It was the only way you could impede the grin that threatened to break out. You had to admit his persistence was flattering. "You don't know when to give up, do you?"

"Nope," Light said proudly, grabbing your jacket and holding it out to you. "You coming?"

You stared at the jacket for a few seconds before snatching it out of his hands and shrugging it onto your shoulders. "You're paying though."

Light escorted you to the door. "Of course. You should expect nothing less from a gentleman."

You squatted his arm. "Gentleman my-ass," you scoffed, locking the door behind you and putting the key in your pocket. The events of the afternoon were already slipping from your mind.

"You can always pay for yourself-"

"Okay, I'm sorry. You're such a gentleman, Light," you cooed dramatically.

The brunet snickered, shooting you a sideways glance. "Then why are you so adverse to me?"

"I'm not adverse to you. I just... find you mildly irritating."

"Oh, only mildly?"

You grumbled under your breath. "Are we just gonna bicker the whole time?"

"You're the one who started it," Light argued, bumping your shoulder. You only glared at him in response.

"Say, where's Ryuk got to?" You asked, slowing down to look around.

Light gestured airly to the sky above. "I sent him up there, patrolling for stalkers, threats to your well-being and whatnot."

You blinked at him, your heart fluttering faintly in your chest. "Oh, uhm, thank you for your concern," you said breathlessly.

"Hah. You ought to expect nothing less from a gentleman."

[ » ]

"Hattori-Chan said she saw you and Light together on Saturday. Is that true?"

"Oooh, are you two dating?"

You shrugged off their allegations with a simple shake of your head, evading their accusing stares as you hurried past. The sudden attention was starting to grind on your nerves. You didn't want to suddenly become popular due to your rumoured relationship with Light, all of which was a lie anyway.

"Hey, looks like you've finally made some friends!"

You groaned under your breath as a familiar brunet popped up beside you, a careless smile on his face. "Leave me alone. Are you the one spreading those stupid rumours?"

Light held out his hands defensively. "I haven't been saying anything! Someone apparently saw you having a wonderful time with me and presumed we were together, that's all."

You sighed through your nose, slanting your brows as Ryuk floated above you, paralysed in some kind of triangle-shape. "You been starving your pet again?" You muttered in an undertone, already walking away with Light nipping at your heels.

"I keep forgetting to buy apples," he played off with a shrug, earning a sharp rebuke from Ryuk. "Okay, okay, I'll pick some up after school."

Rolling your eyes, you dug through your bag and retrieved the piece of fruit you'd been saving for lunch. "Here," you said simply, tossing the apple to Light's chest.

You couldn't help but crack a smile as Ryuk gave an excited yelp. "Oh, this one's definitely a keeper, Light."

"Oh, don't I know it," he added, almost carelessly, as if it slipped out of his mouth before he could fully comprehend what he was saying. He seemed unfazed, nevertheless, pulling you aside so that nobody could overhear. "Hey, you sure you're okay to come to school already?"

"You're here, aren't you?" You pointed out, though your mum hadn't been overly impressed either by you attending school. She thought you might be 'unstable' after the trauma you'd gone through. In all honesty, you'd practically forgotten about the whole thing.

Light smiled apologetically. "True, just thought I'd check. I'll see you in class, okay?"

You nodded, angling your head slightly. "Where are you going now?"

He shot you an unassuming smile. "Oh, you know, things to do. I missed the news this morning. I like to keep tabs on current investigations, that sort of thing."

"Oh, okay. See you in class then."