Chapter 10

I rush out of the locker room and head straight for my car

I rush out of the locker room and head straight for my car. Harrison is right, I should have never come back. Ditching my last class, I jog to the driver's side and fumble with my keys.

"Going somewhere?"

My heart skips a beat and I jump at the sudden, familiar voice. Turning around, I see Daniel standing at the back of a car, shutting the truck after pulling out a duffel bag with his name sewn on it. It's the track team bag.

Realizing my red eyes and puffy face, I turn back and unlock my door. "Yeah, I'm leaving," I mutter and slide in. I shut the door before he can say anything, though I doubt he would. Like some sort of speed racer, I zip out of the parking spot and bolt down the street. My hand wipes stray tears from my face roughly, and I struggle to keep my hands steady on the wheel. My heart feels like it is beating a million times a minute.

Noticing the light turning red, I slam on the breaks, stopping myself from flying through. My body lifts then falls back against my seat. A car honks at me and I have a need to yell back at them.

Once I reach my house, I leave my backpack in the car and slam the door shut. Trudging up to the front door, I unlock it, walk through, then kick it closed. The house is empty, as usual, so I stomp up the steps like a two-year-old and head straight for my room. I snatch a pillow from my bed, hold it to my face, and I scream. I scream my heart out.

Afterwards, I drop my phone to the side and crash down with no desire to get up.

My phone rings.

Silence.

My phone rings.

Silence.

My phone rings and I clutch at it, pressing ignore then lazily letting it drop.

My phone rings.

I groan and lift myself up, hardly off of my pillow. My hand clears the hairs from my face, and I sit up in my bed before grabbing my constantly ringing phone.