Level 18: Take A Break

AXEL

Can I come over?

I paced the living room of my apartment. Her voice had surrounded wrong, croaky.

Like she'd been crying.

Crap.

I could imagine exactly what she'd seen that would make her cry.

That stupid son of a—

The sound of an engine made me race towards the door. I swung it open as Violet's car pulled into my driveway.

I jogged down the stairs as she parked and started to get out. "Curls—"

She ran into my chest.

I stiffened.

Her arms were wrapped around me, her fingers clutching the back of my shirt.

She's hugging me.

Her body was trembling. Crying. She was crying.

I swallowed. Then, tentatively, I slid my arms around her.

She pulled away a few moments later. I let my arms drop to the side.

She rubbed her eyes. "Sorry," she mumbled. "I messed up your shirt."

I gave a half-shrug. "No worries, Curls."

I hesitated. Is this the bit where the nice guy asks the girl what's wrong?

Or would that set her off?

I turned. "Come on—let me show you my place." I grinned as I held the door open for her. "Welcome to the Axel Ryder apartment."

She shuffled inside, blinking as she glanced around. I shut the door. Questions burned the back of my throat.

She glanced back at me, brows furrowing. "Your apartment?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine—technically it's the Axel and Asher Ryder apartment. But since my brother's rarely around, I'd argue it's mine."

"Oh." After a moment, she murmured, "I didn't know you had a brother."

I leaned against the door. "You should meet him. A little too humble, but that's a hell of a flaw. He's pretty much perfect." Kind of like you. "You'll like him."

The words made my throat constrict.

Stop being an idiot Axel.

Violet moved towards the living area, eyes touching the flat screen, stereo and gaming system. Her eyes flickered to something on the coffee table and she stopped.

"Did you draw this?" she asked.

I turned to stone.

Crap.

I crossed the room, snatching the sketchbook from the table. I shot her a grin. "Whoops. You weren't supposed to see that."

I'd forgotten to put it away.

"It was beautiful," she said. "You're really talented."

I shrugged, even though a ripple of happiness ran through me.

Man, I'm an idiot.

I crossed the room, tucking the sketchbook in the first drawer I touched, out of her view.

When I glanced back, she was standing in the centre of the room, shifting from foot to foot. Eyes fixed on the ground.

Distract her.